Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Rescue Minor Transmission

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
      I agree Mike, and I am very interested in using the drive
      system Tom C. just described in my Tolman Seabright skiff.

      My boat's a lot heavier than Robb White's boat of course, so
      I want an engine that's bigger than 20 HP, but if they are
      available up to 35 HP I guess that's no problem.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      <calfee20@...> wrote:
      > > I was laid off from a Kubota, John Deere dealership
      > > where I was a tractor mechanic. I am very familiar with
      > > the motor Robb White used. Kubota makes a B series
      > > tractor that has a frame to connect the engine and the
      > > transmission. These are their smaller tractors and
      > > range from 18 to maybe 35 hp. The neat thing is they
      > > have a separate enclosed bell housing with a dry clutch
      > > and 3 gears to lower the output shaft to about the
      > > level of the bottom of the oil pan. They also have a
      > > connecting shaft ,engine to trans, that has built in
      > > flex ends to take up small misalignments. I think you
      > > could put one of these in a Rescue Minor and have a
      > > horizontal prop shaft and no belts.
      > >
      > > Big six cylinder Honda motorcycles somehow use the
      > > electric starter for reverse. I can think of a few ways
      > > to to turn the prop backwards, clutch disengaged, with
      > > an electric starter. The battery and charging system
      > > is already there. Years ago when the kids were little
      > > I drove a car with no reverse for two years. I didn't
      > > want to spend the money as the car was a real beater.
      > > Anyway do you think you could get away with a paddle
      > > instead for reverse or is this too hack.
      > >
      > > ....................................Tom C.
    • calfee20
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
        I was figuring on the Agricultural pillow blocks that Robb used.

        I have a book on inboard installations coming from the library maybe
        I'll get some ideas from that. How does a marine installation look or
        work?

        ................................Tom C.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

        > That's pretty darn interesting to me. Robb White's solution was a
        > hack too, and belts or chains are not the best solution for cruising
        > or offshore. What you didn't mention is a big/reliable enough thrust
        > bearing to absorb the push of the prop along the shaft. That would
        > make it something more than a hack if it prices out less than a
        > designed for the purpose marine engine.
        >
        > Mike Dolph
        >

        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "calfee20" <calfee20@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was laid off from a Kubota, John Deere dealership where I was a
        > > tractor mechanic. I am very familiar with the motor Robb White used.
        > > Kubota makes a B series tractor that has a frame to connect the engine
        > > and the transmission. These are their smaller tractors and range from
        > > 18 to maybe 35 hp. The neat thing is they have a separate enclosed
        > > bell housing with a dry clutch and 3 gears to lower the output shaft
        > > to about the level of the bottom of the oil pan. They also have a
        > > connecting shaft ,engine to trans, that has built in flex ends to take
        > > up small misalignments. I think you could put one of these in a Rescue
        > > Minor and have a horizontal prop shaft and no belts.
        > >
        > > Big six cylinder Honda motorcycles somehow use the electric starter
        > > for reverse. I can think of a few ways to to turn the prop backwards,
        > > clutch disengaged, with an electric starter. The battery and charging
        > > system is already there. Years ago when the kids were little I drove
        > > a car with no reverse for two years. I didn't want to spend the money
        > > as the car was a real beater. Anyway do you think you could get away
        > > with a paddle instead for reverse or is this too hack.
        > >
        > > ....................................Tom C.

      • calfee20
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
          <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

          > I agree Mike, and I am very interested in using the drive
          > system Tom C. just described in my Tolman Seabright skiff.
          >
          > My boat's a lot heavier than Robb White's boat of course, so
          > I want an engine that's bigger than 20 HP, but if they are
          > available up to 35 HP I guess that's no problem.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Ken Grome
          > Bagacay Boatworks
          > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          You made me check Kubota's web site. Their B7800 is a 4 cyl with
          30 gross hp, whatever that means because the PTO hp is 22. What's the
          difference? I don't know.

          I just popped over to Kubota's industrial engine site and they have
          any horsepower you could want but I don't know if that bell housing
          would bolt on. Oh yeah gross hp is Intermittant just read it.

          Just another thought, these engines are used in all kinds of custom
          equipment and sometimes they run a driveshaft with U joints off the
          front pulley.

          .............................Tom C.
        • Charles
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2008

            > You made me check Kubota's web site. Their B7800 is a 4 cyl with
            > 30 gross hp, whatever that means because the PTO hp is 22. What's the
            > difference? I don't know.

            Gross HP is at the flywheel with no attachments.
            PTO (power take off) HP is after it goes through a gear train to reduce
            it to 540 rpm. Gross HP is rated- PTO is actual and can be observed on
            a dyno. For most applications go with PTO. (30 years in the tractor
            business)