Re: [AtkinBoats] Rescue Minor waterline

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
      Maybe Mr. Atkin drew the waterline where it should be while
      the boat is moving, rather than at rest. The stern rises
      on this boat when it's moving forward, and maybe it rises
      that 5 inches you're talking about when the boat is running
      at cruise speed.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > Just did a preliminary launch of my Rescue Minor and
      > confirmed what I had been told by two other builders;
      > the boat sits down about 5 inches at the stern from the
      > design waterline. Don't know how Atkin could have gotten
      > it so wrong. Apparently doesn't affect the performance
      > but obviously the draft at rest goes from 6 inches to 11
      > inches. Just wanted to get this information out in case
      > there are other builders unaware.
    • titanicslim
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
        Atkin didn't get this wrong. Small motor boats often squat a bit
        without a load. With a couple of heavyweights f'rd (making sure the
        equipment is distributed somewhat as Atkin specified) it will settle a
        bit more like you expect.

        You might find a few erroneous offsets in Billy Atkin's tables but if
        you discover a major design defect, go over the plan carefully until
        you can see where you deviated from it.

        Dave

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome