Rescue Minor waterline

  • waterbroke2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2008
      Just did a preliminary launch of my Rescue Minor and confirmed what I
      had been told by two other builders; the boat sits down about 5
      inches at the stern from the design waterline. Don't know how Atkin
      could have gotten it so wrong. Apparently doesn't affect the
      performance but obviously the draft at rest goes from 6 inches to 11
      inches. Just wanted to get this information out in case there are
      other builders unaware.
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
        Maybe Mr. Atkin drew the waterline where it should be while
        the boat is moving, rather than at rest. The stern rises
        on this boat when it's moving forward, and maybe it rises
        that 5 inches you're talking about when the boat is running
        at cruise speed.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > Just did a preliminary launch of my Rescue Minor and
        > confirmed what I had been told by two other builders;
        > the boat sits down about 5 inches at the stern from the
        > design waterline. Don't know how Atkin could have gotten
        > it so wrong. Apparently doesn't affect the performance
        > but obviously the draft at rest goes from 6 inches to 11
        > inches. Just wanted to get this information out in case
        > there are other builders unaware.
      • titanicslim
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
          Atkin didn't get this wrong. Small motor boats often squat a bit
          without a load. With a couple of heavyweights f'rd (making sure the
          equipment is distributed somewhat as Atkin specified) it will settle a
          bit more like you expect.

          You might find a few erroneous offsets in Billy Atkin's tables but if
          you discover a major design defect, go over the plan carefully until
          you can see where you deviated from it.

          Dave

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome