What about Sabot?

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2008
      Hi All!

      This is a design I always liked, but now I can't even find it on the
      Atkin site. Anybody know if Mrs. A. still has those plans?
      Katydidn't is the same deal. These two both have the flush deck or
      "turtle" deck. I wonder whether neither of them were good enough
      sellers or were thought to be somehow flawed or unsafe. Anyone able
      to clarify?

      Thanks,
      Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2008
        It's quite possible that the plans for Sabot were lost in the 1938
        hurricane. The Atkin plans from before the hurricane that have survived
        were the ones that weren't at William's office and home, like the plans
        drawn for MoToR BoatinG. Katydid (Katydidn't is her tender) _is_ in the
        current catalog:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html

        On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:35:14 -0700, Dave wrote:

        > This is a design I always liked, but now I can't even find it on the
        > Atkin site. Anybody know if Mrs. A. still has those plans?
        > Katydidn't is the same deal. These two both have the flush deck or
        > "turtle" deck. I wonder whether neither of them were good enough
        > sellers or were thought to be somehow flawed or unsafe. Anyone able
        > to clarify?

        The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
        hijacking of morality by religion. <Arthur C. Clarke>
      • davy riggs
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2008
          Thanks, John. I saw that boat, as I'm sure is the
          general case, in Henderson's book, 53 Boats You Can
          Build. I figured the plans were available at the time
          of that book's publication. The '70s maybe?

          Dave

          --- John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

          > It's quite possible that the plans for Sabot were
          > lost in the 1938
          > hurricane. The Atkin plans from before the hurricane
          > that have survived
          > were the ones that weren't at William's office and
          > home, like the plans
          > drawn for MoToR BoatinG. Katydid (Katydidn't is her
          > tender) _is_ in the
          > current catalog:
          >
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html
          >
          > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:35:14 -0700, Dave wrote:
          >
          > > This is a design I always liked, but now I can't
          > even find it on the
          > > Atkin site. Anybody know if Mrs. A. still has
          > those plans?
          > > Katydidn't is the same deal. These two both have
          > the flush deck or
          > > "turtle" deck. I wonder whether neither of them
          > were good enough
          > > sellers or were thought to be somehow flawed or
          > unsafe. Anyone able
          > > to clarify?
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may
          > be the
          > hijacking of morality by religion. <Arthur C.
          > Clarke>
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
          > mopery. Please be polite.
          >
          > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
          > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
          > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
          > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
          > boat.

          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my wife's brother. -Artemus Ward
        • michaelye4
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
            >Dave, just want to suggest that you look at the Princess Betty plans at the Atkin plans
            site. I could be wrong, but she appears to be nothing more or less than an open version of
            Sabot. I only know this because I also saw the Sabot in the book and found it worthy of
            mind sailing!

            Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2008
              Mike

              I'm right with you there. You could use that nicely radiused cockpit
              coaming as the basis for the house sides, a la Wenda &c. Keep the
              accommodations Spartan and maybe even a fabric top/hardtop option for
              the house. Unless built too heavy, this design should have all the
              qualities of her peers by Alden, Herreshoff and others. I think it
              has possibilities...