Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Batten-seam ply on Marigold?

  • davy riggs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2008
      Although I hadn't considered cold-molding, that is
      certainly another option. Although I am used to doing
      reasonably fast and good work, my physical health and
      condition aren't what they were. I have to work out
      which types of design and construction will involve
      the least time and pain.

      And I can see how a serious Atkin fan would go for
      this one. They have other very nice models. I
      especially like their take on the River Rat concept.
      This designer is Major-League Atkin freak, isn't he?

      As regards trad. construction on the stitch-n-glue
      design, I would personally go ahead and attempt it,
      trying very hard to keep the weight, balance etc. as
      close as possible to the plan. YMMV.

      As far as the batten-seam topsides, I've been thinking
      about that and have just about convinced myself that
      the concavity just below the sheer will reflect any
      irregularities downward, thus minimizing the visible
      effect. Semi-gloss paint and well lined-off planking
      can't hurt either.

      Comments?

      http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/FL26_study.htm?prod=FL26

      > I read in some forum where Jacgues Mertens gives a
      > nod to the Atkins'
      > regarding this hull shape. There's a great deal of
      > Marigold, Wader,
      > and Esther in the FL26 hull, for sure.
      >
      > Personally I was contemplating the whole question
      > from the other
      > direction: could FL26 be build with traditional wood
      > boatbuilding
      > methods? I expect the stitch-n-goo crowd would say
      > she'd be to heavy,
      > but William Atkin, with boats like Marigold and
      > Wader, seems to have
      > gotten similar performance the very similar hulls
      > using traditional
      > methods. Unless I'm missing somthing.
      >

      > -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim"
      > <titanicslim@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi again!
      > >
      > > So I've been thumbing through my old Treasury of
      > Inboard Cruisers and
      > > "Marigold" caught my eye. You may recall I was
      > looking for a shoal
      > > draught vessel for Midwest/Mid-South cruising and
      > a possible Arkansas
      > > River trip.
      > >
      > > This design has just about everything I'm looking
      > for, with the
      > > possible exception of a tunnel stern. Some of the
      > places I may be
      > > cruising are pretty shallow but Marigold will pass
      > most of them. My
      > > main question concerns construction.
      > >
      > > The design calls for battened seams and I've only
      > ever done those with
      > > solid cedar or mahogany planking. Since this boat
      > will only (AFAIK)
      > > ever be used in fresh water, I'd like to make her
      > of marine plywood.
      > > Does anyone see any problems arising from the use
      > of this material?
      > > Any other issues in my plan that bear mentioning?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Dave

      I have given two cousins to war and I stand ready to sacrifice my wife's brother. -Artemus Ward