MARINIZED POWERGLIDE

  • jjoftheusa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2004
      I realized that this site is not for transmission modificaiton but
      99.99% of all boats do have transmissions.

      Recently I was made aware that an old 2-speed power glide could be
      turned into a great marine tranny. From what I have been told,
      removing the torque converter and reworking the valve body for
      shifting using the engine's oil pressure is about the extent of the
      modificaitons. Just need details as i have never heard of this
      modification before. It seems as if dragsters (land and sea) are
      useing powerglide trannies...prices seem to start well in excess of
      $1400.... and we all need/like to save money....

      Anyone out there know about this, could I talk you into shareing your
      info...

      Cheers
      JJ
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2004
        The places to look for info on modifying an old Powerglide are probably the
        groups for racing boats. To use one in a boat you'd want to install a thrust
        bearing behind the tranny, otherwise it'd wear out the tranny's rear bearing
        pretty quick, though in the Good Old Days lots of work and fishing boats
        used auto engines and transmissions without that nicety, figuring the
        trannies were cheap at the junkyard or cheap and easy to fix... Check the
        motorboats and motors section of my links list, maybe there are some racing
        sites there:

        http://www.boat-links.com/linklists/boatlink-30.html#vroom

        Another place where someone will have an opinion about the conversion, if
        not any actual experience or knowledge, ;o) is the Wooden Powerboats group:

        If you find out anything, let us know here.

        Good luck.

        On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:58:21 -0000, JJ wrote:
        > Recently I was made aware that an old 2-speed power glide could be
        > turned into a great marine tranny. From what I have been told,
        > removing the torque converter and reworking the valve body for
        > shifting using the engine's oil pressure is about the extent of the
        > modificaitons. Just need details as i have never heard of this
        > modification before. It seems as if dragsters (land and sea) are
        > useing powerglide trannies...prices seem to start well in excess of
        > $1400.... and we all need/like to save money....

        Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
        they meet two conditions:
        1. He is a Greek
        2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>