Planks vs Plywood

  • capn_druid
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9 9:48 AM
      Hi, new-to-group but not new-to-building guy here.

      I pulled my Volvo MD6A 10hp diesel out of my sailboat, and if i can
      get it running again, would like to build a boat around it ;)
      Something displacement, slow-but-seaworthy, and not cost a fortune to
      build.

      Mr. Atkin's (any relation to Gavin Atkin, of mouseboat fame?) boats
      seem just what I'm looking for, especially the Sixteen Two or Bobby M
      (I live on the West Coast of Canada, so I'd need some sort of shelter
      - a bit of a cabin - but that can be added onto the nice hull)

      I would LOVE to make one with frames and planks, but I have 3 concerns:
      1. How does the cost compare to doing it in plywood?
      2. How much more work?
      3. How do you keep it waterproof with all those seams? (Even my
      plywood-on-frame boats have fg tape and epoxy on all the seams to make
      them watertight)

      Also: what's the displacement on a boat like the Sixteen Two?

      druid
      http://www.bcboatnet.org