Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Howdy, Shipmates!

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 8, 2008
      Oh! I forgot to mention that Chapelle has lots of info on cross-planked
      (herringbone), frameless construction in Boatbuilding:

      http://tinyurl.com/5kr9dn

      Pete Culler was also a fan of that construction. The crosswise bottom
      planks make framing below the chine unnecessary, though you still need
      frames for the topsides. A good, simple way to build a V-bottom or
      flat-bottom boat. Don't be scared of using real wood, Dave. <g>

      No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
      society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
      shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
      stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. <P.J. O'Rourke>
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com