Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Howdy, Shipmates!

    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 8, 2008
      There were two editions of Boatbuilding in Your Own Backyard, with
      different plans in each (though some were duplicated, IIRC). Kittiwake is
      in the second edition, which is in print.

      Martha Green would be impossible to plank with plywood sheets. You could
      make plywood planks and get them to fit, but Martha Green isn't a trailer
      boat, so you might as well do it right.

      On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:04:24 -0700, Dave wrote:

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Dixon" wrote:
      >>
      >> > Hi Dave. If you can get ahold of Sam Rabl's "Boatbuilfing in your
      >> own backyard" He goes into detail of type construction your
      >> interested in
      > Huh. And I used to own that book! I can't remember a Skipjack plan
      > but that could be due to the bad case of tunnel vision I've always
      > had. (I wasn't specifically looking for one... ) "Kittywake" does
      > have a familiar ring... maybe it's in one of the 20 Boats books. I'll

      There is nothing more horrifying than stupidity in action.
      <Adlai E. Stevenson>
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com