Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Howdy, Shipmates!

  • davy riggs
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 8, 2008
      Mike

      This thread has taken some twists and turns but the
      crux of the biscuit is that, whichever design I use,
      it must be designed or adaptable for plywood. And the
      more I look at the problem, the better "Ninigret" is
      looking to me. I don't really need another big boat,
      and that one is starting to look like a lot of fun.

      Dave

      --- Mike <Mikieq@...> wrote:

      > Dave
      > Not really a skipjack, but a skipjack hull type. I
      > belive Rabl gave
      > two options with that boat, one with deadrise
      > forward and one without.
      > Mike
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim"
      > <titanicslim@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Dixon"

      > "Boatbuilfing in
      > your
      > > > own backyard" He goes into detail of type
      > construction your
      > > > interested in, including the staving and
      > alternative to it. dont
      > > > have scan abilty at this time or would forward
      > to you. Boat name'
      > > > in book is Kitywake' Have seen book advertised
      > on Amazon'
      > > > Eugene
      > >
      > > Huh. And I used to own that book! I can't
      > remember a Skipjack
      > plan
      > > but that could be due to the bad case of tunnel
      > vision I've always
      > > had. (I wasn't specifically looking for one... )
      > "Kittywake" does
      > > have a familiar ring... maybe it's in one of the
      > 20 Boats books.
      > I'll
      > > check.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Dave

      For every human problem there is a neat, simple solution; and it is always wrong. -H. L. Mencken
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com