Re: Other skipjack-styled boats ...

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 7, 2008
      Yes another file bottom easly converted to ply construction, but very
      fat.
      Mike
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
      <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > Here's a skipjack-styled outboard powered boat I've always
      > found interesting:
      >
      > http://dngoodchild.com/5414.htm
      >
      > It's called "Hoocares' and it's one of two skipjack style
      > boats I'm familiar with by Weston Farmer. This is the
      > first boat I thought of when I took a look at Martha Green.
      >
      > I think Hoocares is about 1/3 shorter than Martha Green (and
      > maybe that much wider too) although it's hard to tell
      > without seeing some clear dimensions.
      >
      > The other skipjack boat Wes Farmer designed that I'm
      > familiar with is called 'Poor Richard' and the plans are
      > currently available from duckworks:
      >
      > http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/wf/poorichard/index.htm
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com