Re:Howdy, Shipmates!

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 5, 2008
      Well Ken, since it's your nickle give it a whirl but I like to think
      that Mr Atkin knew what he was doing, and since you thought enough of
      his design to build the thing, why not build it like he drew it? In
      other words the boat was designed to take advantage of the building
      method and material. If you don't like the method or cannot get the
      material then don't you think you would be better off finding a
      design that was more in keeping with your style? Chesapeake deadrise
      boats are simple heavily built craft. Martha Green was drawn to yacht
      scantlings but most working deadrise boats of that size will have an
      8x8 or 6x8 keelson and 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 side plank and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2
      bottom plank. they don't do well when built lightly. Their weight is
      part and parsil of thier seaworthyness. Heavy ballast weights make
      them too quick in motion and difficult to stand in. The staving at
      the bow isn't difficult to do, each board is cut much like an
      airplane propeller and fitted into place. I would be happy to do a
      short series of photographs showing how to cut staving on a bandsaw
      if there is any interest.
      Mike
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
      <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > It looks easy enough to build to me, simply by laminating
      > several layers of thinner plywood in the tight bend areas.
      > This is how more than a few builders do it when they choose
      > to use plywood instead of the specified traditional
      > materials.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com
      >

      > > I've built several deadrise boats and 3 or 4 skipjacks
      > > and can say you will have a great deal of trouble trying
      > > to get plywood to lay correctly on Martha Greens
      > > forefoot. In addition, this type of bottom needs thick
      > > planking for structual reasons. You would be much better
      > > off finding a design for plywood. You may be able to do
      > > this bottom with narrow strip plank in a cross plank
      > > fashion useing 5200 for glue between the strips but I
      > > would shy away from this boat if you have to build in
      > > ply.
      > > Mike

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com