Re: [AtkinBoats] Re:Howdy, Shipmates!

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 5, 2008
      It looks easy enough to build to me, simply by laminating
      several layers of thinner plywood in the tight bend areas.
      This is how more than a few builders do it when they choose
      to use plywood instead of the specified traditional
      materials.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > I've built several deadrise boats and 3 or 4 skipjacks
      > and can say you will have a great deal of trouble trying
      > to get plywood to lay correctly on Martha Greens
      > forefoot. In addition, this type of bottom needs thick
      > planking for structual reasons. You would be much better
      > off finding a design for plywood. You may be able to do
      > this bottom with narrow strip plank in a cross plank
      > fashion useing 5200 for glue between the strips but I
      > would shy away from this boat if you have to build in
      > ply.
      > Mike
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com