Re:Howdy, Shipmates!

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 5, 2008
      I've built several deadrise boats and 3 or 4 skipjacks and can say you
      will have a great deal of trouble trying to get plywood to lay
      correctly on Martha Greens forefoot. In addition, this type of bottom
      needs thick planking for structual reasons. You would be much better
      off finding a design for plywood. You may be able to do this bottom
      with narrow strip plank in a cross plank fashion useing 5200 for glue
      between the strips but I would shy away from this boat if you have to
      build in ply.
      Mike
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com