Re: [AtkinBoats] Re:Howdy, Shipmates!

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 3, 2008
      Ned,

      I think I have to disagree with what you read ...

      There's not enough bend in Martha Green's bottom panels
      forward to create any problems with construction in
      plywood. In fact, the forward bottom is the easy part of
      the bottom to install. If anything, it's the aft bottom
      that might not take the bend up to the transom when using
      thick plywood on the bottom.

      But it's the side panels forward where the major bending
      occurs in this hull, and most builders will simply use two
      or three layers of thinner plywood instead of one thick
      layer to deal with difficult bends like these. There's no
      flam in this hull either, so I really don't see any problem
      building the entire hull in plywood myself.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > Also a fan of Martha Green here. "Skipjack" bottoms are
      > usually cross-planked. Read somewhere, but location
      > escapes me, that MG's deadrise bottom, especially with
      > hard twist for'ard would be tough in ply.
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com