Re:Howdy, Shipmates!

  • Ned Asplundh
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 3, 2008
      Also a fan of Martha Green here. "Skipjack" bottoms are usually cross-planked. Read somewhere, but location escapes me, that MG's deadrise bottom, especially with hard twist for'ard would be tough in ply.

      Perhaps topsides in ply and cold-moulded bottom? A qualified naval architect would need to be consulted.

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com