Howdy, Shipmates!

  • titanicslim
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 2, 2008
      My name is Dave Riggs and I am overjoyed at having found this BB!

      Naturally, I am a huge fan of Atkin boats, having built a few and
      daydreamed endlessly on many others.

      I have been looking for a craft, for myself, suitable for cruising the
      various lakes in the South and Midwest USA. I just discovered the
      "Martha Green" design and am smitten.

      Does anyone know if this boat is suitable for plywood construction,
      and if drawings for such a variant are available? It looks promising
      but I'd like to get some info/encouragement from someone who has
      actual experience in the undertaking.

      Thanks for reading this. I'd really appreciate any feedback anyone is
      inclined to share.

      Dave
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 9, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        There are several "tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs" on the
        Atkin website. Most are on the 'inboard utilities' pages.

        The tunnel-stern versions are semi-displacement boats
        designed for very shallow water and top speeds of about
        15-17 mph. The most recent and therefore theoretically the
        best performing is Shoals Runner, not Rescue Minor.

        There are also several NON-tunnel-stern versions (my
        favorite at the moment is Sallie Hyde) ... so you'll have
        to be very careful when researching them to avoid getting
        these two lines mixed up.

        There's no need to deal with the complication of
        tunnel-stern construction if all you're after is
        displacement speeds. In this case you may be better off
        with a non-tunnel-stern Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com