Re: Restoring a vintage wooden boat

  • gordocutter_1
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 28, 2008
      Thanks for the tips friends. I thought that this could work because
      I saw in the Gartside's website a double planked hull that use epoxi
      so I figured that this could work with traditional plank on edge
      with veneer.

      Adaucto

      > Good advice, Giuliano! "The old ways work," as Pete Culler used to
      tell
      > us. A properly cared for traditionally built boat is just about
      immortal,
      > 'cause you can just keep fixing it and replacing parts as needed.
      Trying
      > to combine modern boatbuilding techniques with old may work in the
      short
      > run, but will be a disaster down the line.
      >
      > Several years ago an interesting couple who live on their boat in
      South
      > Georgia (the island) had their worn out, carvel planked cutter
      rejuvenated
      > by having several layers of veneers "cold-molded " over the
      outside of the
      > hull. The operation was apparently a success, 'cause last I heard
      they
      > were still living on the boat down in those cold climes. Rot
      doesn't like
      > cold. <g> Their fix was kind of like what Allan Vaitses used to
      promote
      > for getting a few more seasons out of an old fishing boat by
      fiberglassing
      > it. It'll work for a while, maybe a long while someplace like the
      > Antarctic, but when it goes bad the only thing the boat will be
      good for
      > is firewood. But the couple from South Georgia's boat was written
      up in
      > Wooden Boat, so people all over the place started thinking that a
      > cold-molded shell was a good way to "save" an old boat. <sigh>
      >
      > A few years ago a fellow I know slightly bought an old British
      > double-ended sailboat that had been treated to the cold-molding
      fix. She
      > looked fine outside, and a quick glance inside didn't look too
      bad. One
      > day he had to cut through the cold-molded shell for some reason.
      What he
      > found was a layer of compost between the shell and a thin layer of
      halfway
      > decent wood that was what you'd seen in your quick glance inside.
      He
      > stripped off all the cold-molded shell and found there was
      scarcely a
      > single plank worth saving. He gave up and the boatyard broke up
      the
      > derelict hulk a few months ago. :o( Don't do it!
      >
      > The cotton or oakum is the caulking, any goop is just "seam
      compound" to
      > fair the seam. The cotton or oakum doesn't just keep water out,
      it
      > stiffens the hull. Trying to replace real caulking with goop is a
      criminal
      > delusion.
      >
      > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:29:58 -0700, Giuliano G wrote:

      > > My personal opinion and also experience is that each time you
      are trying
      > > to take a shortcut, you end up to spend more money and labor
      than doing
      > > the work right the first time.
      > > Bevare of the specialty products that dno't need the cotton, I
      heared
      > > bad thinks about such great convenience and fast applications,
      and then
      > > will take you ten time more than the time of caulking just to go
      all
      > > over with a razor blade and remove that junk from the seams.

      > John <jkohnen@...>
      > No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency.
      > <Franklin D. Roosevelt>

    • Archie
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 29, 2008
        Thanks for the information. We are located near Port Townsend Washington and are looking for someone that can help.

        Arch E. Van Belle

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 30, 2008
          You're in luck! There are lots of people around Port Townsend who know
          about wooden boats. Where is your boat? Maybe I can stop and look at it
          when I'm up that way next week for the Festival.

          On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:39:08 -0700, Archie wrote:

          > Thanks for the information. We are located near Port Townsend Washington
          > and are looking for someone that can help.

          What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long
          stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
        • Archie
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2008
            That would be great. We plan to go to the festival our self.
            We are located at 1488 Shine Road, Port Ludlow. If you come by way of the Hood Canal floating bridge, you would take the first left turn after crossing the bridge. We are about 1.5 miles down that road on the south side of the road. My cell phone number is 425-218-4111

            Arch E. Van Belle

            ------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
              I won't be going near no floating bridge if I can help it! <g> The drive
              down the west side of Hood Canal is much nicer, and more relaxing after
              all the freeway from Oregon to Shelton. But I'll plan to stop by your
              place either on the way to PT tomorrow, or on the way home Monday.

              I'm going to have my odd little camp cruiser on display. All Atkin boat
              nuts are invited to stop by and BS about boats.

              http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj

              A bunch of unconventional boat nuts meet at the Otter Crossing for brunch
              Saturday at 10:00. If you're of a Coot-like disposition you're invited to
              join us.

              Should be a good show this year. The weather sounds like it's gonna be
              perfect -- sunny but not too warm. :o)

              On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 07:59:52 -0700, Archie wrote:

              > That would be great. We plan to go to the festival our self.
              > We are located at 1488 Shine Road, Port Ludlow. If you come by way of
              > the Hood Canal floating bridge, you would take the first left turn after
              > crossing the bridge. We are about 1.5 miles down that road on the south
              > side of the road. My cell phone number is 425-218-4111

              Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
              two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman <Roy
              Blount Jr.>
            • Archie
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
                I will be here tomorrow and will be working on the boat. I will be out of town on Monday so I hope you can make it tomorrow. If not, I will look for you at the Festival on Friday.

                Arch E. Van Belle