Re: [AtkinBoats] Restoring a vintage wooden boat

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
      That cement stuff is just seam compound. The real caulking is the cotton
      or oakum stuffed into the seams beneath the seam compound. Clean all the
      old seam compound out of the seams and then check the caulking to make
      sure it's tight. Caulking is kind of an art, though anyone can pick it up
      well enough, so I'm told. Around the boatyards where I hang out the
      fishermen teach each other how to caulk, and other tricks of boat repair.
      Ask around your boatyard and you'll probably find someone to show you the
      rudiments of caulking. I sure hope there are some wooden boats other than
      yours there though! Out here we're still blessed with a lot of wooden
      fishing boats.

      I shudder whenever I see that cement seam compound. <shudder> It doesn't
      have any give, so it can damage the plank edges if they swell overmuch,
      and it doesn't do any good if the planks shrink. But the fishermen seem to
      love it, and some of their boats have lasted a long, long time. <shrug> A
      common recipe involves Portland cement and roofing tar. It stays soft
      until the boat hits the water and it's planks swell up, but then hardens.
      Many of the fishermen only use the cement compound on the topsides, using
      straight roofing tar below the waterline. I think it's worth the extra
      cost to use a real, non-hardening seam compound.

      Good luck with you project!

      On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:16:58 -0700, Archie wrote:

      > The hull was repaired five years ago and re-caulked  with a cement
      > mixture. The boat has been stored all this time under a tarp, protected
      > from the weather, but some of the seams have opened up do to continued
      > shrinking of the planks. To repair this do we have to take out the
      > existing caulking or can we just fill up the new cracks with some other
      > type of caulking?

      It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
      word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
    • gordocutter_1
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 28, 2008
        Thanks for the tips friends. I thought that this could work because
        I saw in the Gartside's website a double planked hull that use epoxi
        so I figured that this could work with traditional plank on edge
        with veneer.

        Adaucto

        > Good advice, Giuliano! "The old ways work," as Pete Culler used to
        tell
        > us. A properly cared for traditionally built boat is just about
        immortal,
        > 'cause you can just keep fixing it and replacing parts as needed.
        Trying
        > to combine modern boatbuilding techniques with old may work in the
        short
        > run, but will be a disaster down the line.
        >
        > Several years ago an interesting couple who live on their boat in
        South
        > Georgia (the island) had their worn out, carvel planked cutter
        rejuvenated
        > by having several layers of veneers "cold-molded " over the
        outside of the
        > hull. The operation was apparently a success, 'cause last I heard
        they
        > were still living on the boat down in those cold climes. Rot
        doesn't like
        > cold. <g> Their fix was kind of like what Allan Vaitses used to
        promote
        > for getting a few more seasons out of an old fishing boat by
        fiberglassing
        > it. It'll work for a while, maybe a long while someplace like the
        > Antarctic, but when it goes bad the only thing the boat will be
        good for
        > is firewood. But the couple from South Georgia's boat was written
        up in
        > Wooden Boat, so people all over the place started thinking that a
        > cold-molded shell was a good way to "save" an old boat. <sigh>
        >
        > A few years ago a fellow I know slightly bought an old British
        > double-ended sailboat that had been treated to the cold-molding
        fix. She
        > looked fine outside, and a quick glance inside didn't look too
        bad. One
        > day he had to cut through the cold-molded shell for some reason.
        What he
        > found was a layer of compost between the shell and a thin layer of
        halfway
        > decent wood that was what you'd seen in your quick glance inside.
        He
        > stripped off all the cold-molded shell and found there was
        scarcely a
        > single plank worth saving. He gave up and the boatyard broke up
        the
        > derelict hulk a few months ago. :o( Don't do it!
        >
        > The cotton or oakum is the caulking, any goop is just "seam
        compound" to
        > fair the seam. The cotton or oakum doesn't just keep water out,
        it
        > stiffens the hull. Trying to replace real caulking with goop is a
        criminal
        > delusion.
        >
        > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:29:58 -0700, Giuliano G wrote:

        > > My personal opinion and also experience is that each time you
        are trying
        > > to take a shortcut, you end up to spend more money and labor
        than doing
        > > the work right the first time.
        > > Bevare of the specialty products that dno't need the cotton, I
        heared
        > > bad thinks about such great convenience and fast applications,
        and then
        > > will take you ten time more than the time of caulking just to go
        all
        > > over with a razor blade and remove that junk from the seams.

        > John <jkohnen@...>
        > No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency.
        > <Franklin D. Roosevelt>

      • Archie
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 29, 2008
          Thanks for the information. We are located near Port Townsend Washington and are looking for someone that can help.

          Arch E. Van Belle

          That cement stuff is just seam compound. The real caulking is the cotton
          or oakum stuffed into the seams beneath the seam compound. Clean all the
          old seam compound out of the seams and then check the caulking to make
          sure it's tight. Caulking is kind of an art, though anyone can pick it up
          well enough, so I'm told. Around the boatyards where I hang out the
          fishermen teach each other how to caulk, and other tricks of boat repair.
          Ask around your boatyard and you'll probably find someone to show you the
          rudiments of caulking. I sure hope there are some wooden boats other than
          yours there though! Out here we're still blessed with a lot of wooden
          fishing boats.

          I shudder whenever I see that cement seam compound. <shudder> It
          doesn't
          have any give, so it can damage the plank edges if they swell overmuch,
          and it doesn't do any good if the planks shrink. But the fishermen seem to

          love it, and some of their boats have lasted a long, long time. <shrug> A

          common recipe involves Portland cement and roofing tar. It stays soft
          until the boat hits the water and it's planks swell up, but then hardens.
          Many of the fishermen only use the cement compound on the topsides, using
          straight roofing tar below the waterline. I think it's worth the extra
          cost to use a real, non-hardening seam compound.

          Good luck with you project!

          On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:16:58 -0700, Archie wrote:

          > The hull was repaired five years ago and re-caulked  with a cement
          > mixture. The boat has been stored all this time under a tarp, protected
          > from the weather, but some of the seams have opened up do to continued
          > shrinking of the planks. To repair this do we have to take out the
          > existing caulking or can we just fill up the new cracks with some other
          > type of caulking?

          It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
          word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>

          ------------------------------------

          If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you
          stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
          responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 30, 2008
            You're in luck! There are lots of people around Port Townsend who know
            about wooden boats. Where is your boat? Maybe I can stop and look at it
            when I'm up that way next week for the Festival.

            On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:39:08 -0700, Archie wrote:

            > Thanks for the information. We are located near Port Townsend Washington
            > and are looking for someone that can help.

            What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long
            stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
          • Archie
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 30, 2008
              That would be great. We plan to go to the festival our self.
              We are located at 1488 Shine Road, Port Ludlow. If you come by way of the Hood Canal floating bridge, you would take the first left turn after crossing the bridge. We are about 1.5 miles down that road on the south side of the road. My cell phone number is 425-218-4111

              Arch E. Van Belle

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
                I won't be going near no floating bridge if I can help it! <g> The drive
                down the west side of Hood Canal is much nicer, and more relaxing after
                all the freeway from Oregon to Shelton. But I'll plan to stop by your
                place either on the way to PT tomorrow, or on the way home Monday.

                I'm going to have my odd little camp cruiser on display. All Atkin boat
                nuts are invited to stop by and BS about boats.

                http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj

                A bunch of unconventional boat nuts meet at the Otter Crossing for brunch
                Saturday at 10:00. If you're of a Coot-like disposition you're invited to
                join us.

                Should be a good show this year. The weather sounds like it's gonna be
                perfect -- sunny but not too warm. :o)

                On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 07:59:52 -0700, Archie wrote:

                > That would be great. We plan to go to the festival our self.
                > We are located at 1488 Shine Road, Port Ludlow. If you come by way of
                > the Hood Canal floating bridge, you would take the first left turn after
                > crossing the bridge. We are about 1.5 miles down that road on the south
                > side of the road. My cell phone number is 425-218-4111

                Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
                two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman <Roy
                Blount Jr.>
              • Archie
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
                  I will be here tomorrow and will be working on the boat. I will be out of town on Monday so I hope you can make it tomorrow. If not, I will look for you at the Festival on Friday.

                  Arch E. Van Belle