Restoring a vintage wooden boat

  • archevanbelle
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 25, 2008
      Hi All,
      Does anyone out there have experience restoring a vintage wooden boat?
      We have a 38' Atkins designed wooden sailboat built in 1935 and we have
      several question on the restoration, especially the hull.
      Archie
    • JOAQUIN OMAHONY
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 25, 2008
        Hi Archie...I have been rebuilding a 22ft Dolly Varden, built in 1936. Perhaps I can help. What is it you want to know exactly.
        Joaquin

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 25, 2008
          The hull was repaired five years ago and re-caulked  with a cement mixture. The boat has been stored all this time under a tarp, protected from the weather, but some of the seams have opened up do to continued shrinking of the planks. To repair this do we have to take out the existing caulking or can we just fill up the new cracks with some other type of caulking?
          Archie

          Arch E. Van Belle

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 26, 2008
            Hi Archie...if possible, take the old caulking out. I used  5200 Fast Cure in the seams, because the boat is on a trailer now, and not in the water all the time. the builder put a keel on her, which was not part of the original design, so i removed it and put in a centerboard case and centerboard. a good idea is to get the west system book on Wooden Boat Restoration and Repair. I have also sealed the hull with several coats of epoxy, and used epoxy,Valspar enamel on the Interior/Exterior, and all new wood is coated with epoxy before painting, and clear urethane on any varnish.
            Joaquin

            From: JOAQUIN OMAHONY <jqnomahony@yahoo. com>

            To: AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com

            Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 1:01 PM

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 26, 2008
              Thanks for this information. I will find the book  and get a copy.

              Arch E. Van Belle

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 26, 2008
                I dind't know that traditional plank on edge hulls could be coat
                with epoxi. I've heard that due to the shrink of the planks the
                epoxi would not seal the hull the same way that a strip planking,
                cold molded or ply construction can be with epoxi.
                Adaucto

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, JOAQUIN OMAHONY <jqnomahony@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi Archie...if possible, take the old caulking out. I used  5200
                Fast Cure in the seams, because the boat is on a trailer now, and
                not in the water all the time. the builder put a keel on her, which
                was not part of the original design, so i removed it and put in a
                centerboard case and centerboard. a good idea is to get the west
                system book on Wooden Boat Restoration and Repair. I have also
                sealed the hull with several coats of epoxy, and used epoxy,Valspar
                enamel on the Interior/Exterior, and all new wood is coated with
                epoxy before painting, and clear urethane on any varnish.
                > Joaquin

              • JOAQUIN OMAHONY
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                  I have worked on boats all my life, and never had a problem with epoxy-saturation techniques. on a boat built more than 60 years ago, there would be no problem. I always refere to West System Manuals.

                  wrote:

                  > From: archevanbelle <archevanbelle@ yahoo.com>

                  > Subject: [AtkinBoats] Restoring a vintage wooden boat

                  > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com

                  > Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 8:16 AM

                  > Hi All,

                  > Does anyone out there have experience restoring a vintage wooden

                  boat?

                  > We have a 38' Atkins designed wooden sailboat built in 1935 and we

                  have

                  > several question on the restoration, especially the hull.

                  > Archie

                • Giuliano Girometta
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                    If the boat is carvel planking, to epoxy the planks is not a good idea, the planking is supposed to expand when in the water and seal the gaps. Epoxy will slow down the swelling process.
                    Furthermore, the epoxy will not stick and will crack on the caulking. This will allow moisture to penetrate the planking at the cracked seems and the rot will start because the epoxy will try to maintain the moisture inside.

                    Cold moulded, strip planked and plywood are ok with epoxy.

                    Giuliano

                    wrote:

                    > From: archevanbelle <archevanbelle@ yahoo.com>

                    > Subject: [AtkinBoats] Restoring a vintage wooden boat

                    > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com

                    > Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 8:16 AM

                    > Hi All,

                    > Does anyone out there have experience restoring a vintage wooden

                    boat?

                    > We have a 38' Atkins designed wooden sailboat built in 1935 and we

                    have

                    > several question on the restoration, especially the hull.

                    > Archie

                  • gordocutter_1
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                      That's exactly what I've read about it. Sure I don't have the same
                      experience of a life working with boats like Joaquim has, so I can
                      only say what read or hear about it.
                      Adaucto

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Giuliano Girometta <ggboat1@...>
                      wrote:

                      > If the boat is carvel planking, to epoxy the planks is not a good
                      idea, the planking is supposed to expand when in the water and seal
                      the gaps. Epoxy will slow down the swelling process.
                      > Furthermore, the epoxy will not stick and will crack on the
                      caulking. This will allow moisture to penetrate the planking at the
                      cracked seems and the rot will start because the epoxy will try to
                      maintain the moisture inside.

                      > Cold moulded, strip planked and plywood are ok with epoxy.
                      >
                      > Giuliano

                    • gordocutter_1
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                        I've been thinking, what if you put a layer of veneer over a carvel
                        hull with epoxi, would this solve the problem of the shrinking and
                        swelling? For example putting a layer of veneer say at 45° or 90°
                        over the carvel hull maybe this would work like form to stabilize
                        the planks (like a cold molded would) and if you encapsulate the
                        hull isolating it from the air this could stop the work of the wood.
                        Adaucto

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1"
                        <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:

                        > That's exactly what I've read about it. Sure I don't have the same
                        > experience of a life working with boats like Joaquim has, so I can
                        > only say what read or hear about it.
                        > Adaucto
                        >
                        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Giuliano Girometta <ggboat1@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If the boat is carvel planking, to epoxy the planks is not a
                        good
                        > idea, the planking is supposed to expand when in the water and
                        seal
                        > the gaps. Epoxy will slow down the swelling process.
                        > > Furthermore, the epoxy will not stick and will crack on the
                        > caulking. This will allow moisture to penetrate the planking at
                        the
                        > cracked seems and the rot will start because the epoxy will try to
                        > maintain the moisture inside.
                        > >
                        > > Cold moulded, strip planked and plywood are ok with epoxy.
                        > >
                        > > Giuliano

                      • Giuliano Girometta
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                          I don't think will be a good idea.
                          I am now talking about my professional experience with furniture manufacturing and restoring.
                          The application of veneer to a solid core need the veneer to be applied to both sides in order to stabilize the wood and avoid the warping of the core..
                          The core must be of a very stable wood, otherwise the veneer is going to blister.
                          My personal opinion and also experience is that each time you are trying to take a shortcut, you end up to spend more money and labor than doing the work right the first time.
                          Furthermore, caulking is just a simple operation that can be repeated over and over each time is needed, and require just two basic hand tools. While other approaches such veneering will require a complete stripping of the old coatings and bring the hull down to bare wood, otherwise there is no good adhesion, you will have to use a vacum pressing system and the cost for the veneer will be outrageous. Then you have to re-prime and re-paint the hull completly. (Whrew is the saving?).
                          Caulking only need a caulking iron and a mallet and some cotton or oakum.
                          Bevare of the specialty products that dno't need the cotton, I heared bad thinks about such great convenience and fast applications, and then will take you ten time more than the time of caulking just to go all over with a razor blade and remove that junk from the seams.

                          There i a great book on the market called " Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding" a lot of good topics and instructions.

                          Giuliano

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                            Good advice, Giuliano! "The old ways work," as Pete Culler used to tell
                            us. A properly cared for traditionally built boat is just about immortal,
                            'cause you can just keep fixing it and replacing parts as needed. Trying
                            to combine modern boatbuilding techniques with old may work in the short
                            run, but will be a disaster down the line.

                            Several years ago an interesting couple who live on their boat in South
                            Georgia (the island) had their worn out, carvel planked cutter rejuvenated
                            by having several layers of veneers "cold-molded " over the outside of the
                            hull. The operation was apparently a success, 'cause last I heard they
                            were still living on the boat down in those cold climes. Rot doesn't like
                            cold. <g> Their fix was kind of like what Allan Vaitses used to promote
                            for getting a few more seasons out of an old fishing boat by fiberglassing
                            it. It'll work for a while, maybe a long while someplace like the
                            Antarctic, but when it goes bad the only thing the boat will be good for
                            is firewood. But the couple from South Georgia's boat was written up in
                            Wooden Boat, so people all over the place started thinking that a
                            cold-molded shell was a good way to "save" an old boat. <sigh>

                            A few years ago a fellow I know slightly bought an old British
                            double-ended sailboat that had been treated to the cold-molding fix. She
                            looked fine outside, and a quick glance inside didn't look too bad. One
                            day he had to cut through the cold-molded shell for some reason. What he
                            found was a layer of compost between the shell and a thin layer of halfway
                            decent wood that was what you'd seen in your quick glance inside. He
                            stripped off all the cold-molded shell and found there was scarcely a
                            single plank worth saving. He gave up and the boatyard broke up the
                            derelict hulk a few months ago. :o( Don't do it!

                            The cotton or oakum is the caulking, any goop is just "seam compound" to
                            fair the seam. The cotton or oakum doesn't just keep water out, it
                            stiffens the hull. Trying to replace real caulking with goop is a criminal
                            delusion.

                            On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:29:58 -0700, Giuliano G wrote:

                            > My personal opinion and also experience is that each time you are trying
                            > to take a shortcut, you end up to spend more money and labor than doing
                            > the work right the first time.
                            > Bevare of the specialty products that dno't need the cotton, I heared
                            > bad thinks about such great convenience and fast applications, and then
                            > will take you ten time more than the time of caulking just to go all
                            > over with a razor blade and remove that junk from the seams.

                            No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency.
                            <Franklin D. Roosevelt>
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 27, 2008
                              That cement stuff is just seam compound. The real caulking is the cotton
                              or oakum stuffed into the seams beneath the seam compound. Clean all the
                              old seam compound out of the seams and then check the caulking to make
                              sure it's tight. Caulking is kind of an art, though anyone can pick it up
                              well enough, so I'm told. Around the boatyards where I hang out the
                              fishermen teach each other how to caulk, and other tricks of boat repair.
                              Ask around your boatyard and you'll probably find someone to show you the
                              rudiments of caulking. I sure hope there are some wooden boats other than
                              yours there though! Out here we're still blessed with a lot of wooden
                              fishing boats.

                              I shudder whenever I see that cement seam compound. <shudder> It doesn't
                              have any give, so it can damage the plank edges if they swell overmuch,
                              and it doesn't do any good if the planks shrink. But the fishermen seem to
                              love it, and some of their boats have lasted a long, long time. <shrug> A
                              common recipe involves Portland cement and roofing tar. It stays soft
                              until the boat hits the water and it's planks swell up, but then hardens.
                              Many of the fishermen only use the cement compound on the topsides, using
                              straight roofing tar below the waterline. I think it's worth the extra
                              cost to use a real, non-hardening seam compound.

                              Good luck with you project!

                              On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:16:58 -0700, Archie wrote:

                              > The hull was repaired five years ago and re-caulked  with a cement
                              > mixture. The boat has been stored all this time under a tarp, protected
                              > from the weather, but some of the seams have opened up do to continued
                              > shrinking of the planks. To repair this do we have to take out the
                              > existing caulking or can we just fill up the new cracks with some other
                              > type of caulking?

                              It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
                              word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
                            • gordocutter_1
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 28, 2008
                                Thanks for the tips friends. I thought that this could work because
                                I saw in the Gartside's website a double planked hull that use epoxi
                                so I figured that this could work with traditional plank on edge
                                with veneer.

                                Adaucto

> [...]
                                criminal
                                > delusion.
                                >
                                > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:29:58 -0700, Giuliano G wrote:

                                > > My personal opinion and also experience is that each time you
                                are trying
                                > > to take a shortcut, you end up to spend more money and labor
                                than doing
                                > > the work right the first time.
                                > > Bevare of the specialty products that dno't need the cotton, I
                                heared
                                > > bad thinks about such great convenience and fast applications,
                                and then
                                > > will take you ten time more than the time of caulking just to go
                                all
                                > > over with a razor blade and remove that junk from the seams.

                                > John <jkohnen@...>
                                > No man is justified in doing evil on the ground of expediency.

                              • Archie
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 29, 2008
                                  Thanks for the information. We are located near Port Townsend Washington and are looking for someone that can help.

                                  Arch E. Van Belle

                                  That cement stuff is just seam compound. The real caulking is the cotton
                                  or oakum stuffed into the seams beneath the seam compound. Clean all the
                                  old seam compound out of the seams and then check the caulking to make
                                  sure it's tight. Caulking is kind of an art, though anyone can pick it up
                                  well enough, so I'm told. Around the boatyards where I hang out the
                                  fishermen teach each other how to caulk, and other tricks of boat repair.
                                  Ask around your boatyard and you'll probably find someone to show you the
                                  rudiments of caulking. I sure hope there are some wooden boats other than
                                  yours there though! Out here we're still blessed with a lot of wooden
                                  fishing boats.

                                  I shudder whenever I see that cement seam compound. <shudder> It
                                  doesn't
                                  have any give, so it can damage the plank edges if they swell overmuch,
                                  and it doesn't do any good if the planks shrink. But the fishermen seem to

                                  love it, and some of their boats have lasted a long, long time. <shrug> A

                                  common recipe involves Portland cement and roofing tar. It stays soft
                                  until the boat hits the water and it's planks swell up, but then hardens.
                                  Many of the fishermen only use the cement compound on the topsides, using
                                  straight roofing tar below the waterline. I think it's worth the extra
                                  cost to use a real, non-hardening seam compound.

                                  Good luck with you project!

                                  On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:16:58 -0700, Archie wrote:

                                  > The hull was repaired five years ago and re-caulked  with a cement
                                  > mixture. The boat has been stored all this time under a tarp, protected
                                  > from the weather, but some of the seams have opened up do to continued
                                  > shrinking of the planks. To repair this do we have to take out the
                                  > existing caulking or can we just fill up the new cracks with some other
                                  > type of caulking?

                                  It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
                                  word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>

                                  ------------------------------------

                                  If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you
                                  stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
                                  responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

                                  <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 30, 2008
                                    You're in luck! There are lots of people around Port Townsend who know
                                    about wooden boats. Where is your boat? Maybe I can stop and look at it
                                    when I'm up that way next week for the Festival.

                                    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:39:08 -0700, Archie wrote:

                                    > Thanks for the information. We are located near Port Townsend Washington
                                    > and are looking for someone that can help.

                                    What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long
                                    stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
                                  • Archie
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 30, 2008
                                      That would be great. We plan to go to the festival our self.
                                      We are located at 1488 Shine Road, Port Ludlow. If you come by way of the Hood Canal floating bridge, you would take the first left turn after crossing the bridge. We are about 1.5 miles down that road on the south side of the road. My cell phone number is 425-218-4111

                                      Arch E. Van Belle

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 2 6:32 PM
                                        I won't be going near no floating bridge if I can help it! <g> The drive
                                        down the west side of Hood Canal is much nicer, and more relaxing after
                                        all the freeway from Oregon to Shelton. But I'll plan to stop by your
                                        place either on the way to PT tomorrow, or on the way home Monday.

                                        I'm going to have my odd little camp cruiser on display. All Atkin boat
                                        nuts are invited to stop by and BS about boats.

                                        http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj

                                        A bunch of unconventional boat nuts meet at the Otter Crossing for brunch
                                        Saturday at 10:00. If you're of a Coot-like disposition you're invited to
                                        join us.

                                        Should be a good show this year. The weather sounds like it's gonna be
                                        perfect -- sunny but not too warm. :o)

                                        On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 07:59:52 -0700, Archie wrote:

                                        > That would be great. We plan to go to the festival our self.
                                        > We are located at 1488 Shine Road, Port Ludlow. If you come by way of
                                        > the Hood Canal floating bridge, you would take the first left turn after
                                        > crossing the bridge. We are about 1.5 miles down that road on the south
                                        > side of the road. My cell phone number is 425-218-4111

                                        Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
                                        two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman <Roy
                                        Blount Jr.>
                                      • Archie
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 2 7:34 PM
                                          I will be here tomorrow and will be working on the boat. I will be out of town on Monday so I hope you can make it tomorrow. If not, I will look for you at the Festival on Friday.

                                          Arch E. Van Belle