Re: [AtkinBoats] rescue minor prop shaft

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
      > I'm in Alaska so the pictures of your boat in the
      > Phillipins looks especially appealing.

      Hi Clifford,

      Just remember, living in a tropical climate year round is
      not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I just want to go
      to a place where it's COLD for a change ...

      :)

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > Ken,
      > thanks for the reply.
      > Will check this out.

    • druez.charlie
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2008
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cwbenshoof" <cbenshoof@...>
        wrote:

        > HI all.
        > I'm building a rescue minor and was wondering about the space
        between
        > the stern bearing and the prop.
        > What I've read is that the distance shouldn't be over 2 times the
        > diameter of the propeller shaft without having a strut bearing.
        > However, on the drawings it appears to be about 6 inches with no
        strut
        > indicated and on the pictures of the rescue minors I've seen there
        > seems to be more than 4 inches without any strut.
        > An experienced opion would be appreciated. No guessing please.
        > Thanks

        A few observations and opinions, no guessing.

        I was first turned on to William Atkin through a book I inherited
        from my father published in 1939. I've read it a million times and
        found that some of the knowledge my father passed to me came from
        this book.

        I believe that Atkins genius came from a superb ability to optimise
        his designs for maximum effiency in a fairly modest performance
        envelope. He was always very specific about not altering his
        plans. This was I believe in part because he didn't want someone to
        fool with the details and leave an impression with the public that
        Atkin's designs didn't live up to his claims. But this is just
        conjecture, guessing so to speak.

        So... a few things I noted time and time again in his discussions
        about his designs.

        He devoted a lot of effort to smoothing the water flow around his
        underbody to deliver the least disrupted water to the prop.

        He was very specific about what prop operating at what prop speed.

        He loved the flat shaft runs of the Seabright style boats and would
        speak of the effiency gained through thier level installation.

        He liked to splay his shaft a few degrees from centerline to offset
        propwalk. He liked it because it made the boat run truer and was
        more effiecient as the rudder was not having to be slightly cocked
        to make the boat run straight.

        And now for the possible answer to your actual question. On more
        than one occasion he commented on how HE would stick the prop much
        farther back than what was considered normal. He said this was to
        get the prop into smoother water. He also cautioned that it would
        offend the sensiblities of many who would argue to place it in the
        more conventional location to the detriment of the design.

        Again I believe the genius of his design work was in getting many
        small details right.
      • Clifford Benshoof
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
          Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
          I'll continue on as the plans indicate.
          I did have a prop supplier suggest a 12 inch prop, 13 pitch, based on the
          size of the boat but that would mean creating a larger, taller, tunnel to
          give the prop the clearance it needs.
          My thought is that the wake may not fill the cavity if increased, causing
          other problems.
          Atkins attention to detail again causes me reluctance to change that
          demension.
          Thanks again.

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
            Don't change the tunnel!

            On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:12:31 -0700, Clifford wrote:

            > Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
            > I'll continue on as the plans indicate.
            > I did have a prop supplier suggest a 12 inch prop, 13 pitch, based on the
            > size of the boat but that would mean creating a larger, taller, tunnel to
            > give the prop the clearance it needs.

            The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
            <John Barrymore>