rescue minor prop shaft

  • cwbenshoof
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2008
      HI all.
      I'm building a rescue minor and was wondering about the space between
      the stern bearing and the prop.
      What I've read is that the distance shouldn't be over 2 times the
      diameter of the propeller shaft without having a strut bearing.
      However, on the drawings it appears to be about 6 inches with no strut
      indicated and on the pictures of the rescue minors I've seen there
      seems to be more than 4 inches without any strut.
      An experienced opion would be appreciated. No guessing please.
      Thanks
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2008
        What you read probably applies to shafts with higher angles
        from the horizontal. Please check your reference
        literature again to see if this is true, or if actually
        applies to such shallow shaft angles ...

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > HI all.
        > I'm building a rescue minor and was wondering about the
        > space between the stern bearing and the prop.
        > What I've read is that the distance shouldn't be over 2
        > times the diameter of the propeller shaft without having
        > a strut bearing. However, on the drawings it appears to
        > be about 6 inches with no strut indicated and on the
        > pictures of the rescue minors I've seen there seems to be
        > more than 4 inches without any strut. An experienced
        > opion would be appreciated. No guessing please. Thanks
      • Clifford Benshoof
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
          Ken,
          thanks for the reply.
          Will check this out.
          I'm in Alaska so the pictures of your boat in the Phillipins looks
          especially appealing.

          > What you read probably applies to shafts with higher angles
          > from the horizontal. Please check your reference
          > literature again to see if this is true, or if actually
          > applies to such shallow shaft angles ...
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Ken Grome
          > Bagacay Boatworks
          > www.bagacayboatworks.com
          >

          >> HI all.
          >> I'm building a rescue minor and was wondering about the
          >> space between the stern bearing and the prop.
          >> What I've read is that the distance shouldn't be over 2
          >> times the diameter of the propeller shaft without having
          >> a strut bearing. However, on the drawings it appears to
          >> be about 6 inches with no strut indicated and on the
          >> pictures of the rescue minors I've seen there seems to be
          >> more than 4 inches without any strut. An experienced
          >> opion would be appreciated. No guessing please. Thanks
          >

          > ------------------------------------

          > polite.

          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 25, 2008
            > I'm in Alaska so the pictures of your boat in the
            > Phillipins looks especially appealing.

            Hi Clifford,

            Just remember, living in a tropical climate year round is
            not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes I just want to go
            to a place where it's COLD for a change ...

            :)

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com

            > Ken,
            > thanks for the reply.
            > Will check this out.

          • druez.charlie
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2008
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cwbenshoof" <cbenshoof@...>
              wrote:

              > HI all.
              > I'm building a rescue minor and was wondering about the space
              between
              > the stern bearing and the prop.
              > What I've read is that the distance shouldn't be over 2 times the
              > diameter of the propeller shaft without having a strut bearing.
              > However, on the drawings it appears to be about 6 inches with no
              strut
              > indicated and on the pictures of the rescue minors I've seen there
              > seems to be more than 4 inches without any strut.
              > An experienced opion would be appreciated. No guessing please.
              > Thanks

              A few observations and opinions, no guessing.

              I was first turned on to William Atkin through a book I inherited
              from my father published in 1939. I've read it a million times and
              found that some of the knowledge my father passed to me came from
              this book.

              I believe that Atkins genius came from a superb ability to optimise
              his designs for maximum effiency in a fairly modest performance
              envelope. He was always very specific about not altering his
              plans. This was I believe in part because he didn't want someone to
              fool with the details and leave an impression with the public that
              Atkin's designs didn't live up to his claims. But this is just
              conjecture, guessing so to speak.

              So... a few things I noted time and time again in his discussions
              about his designs.

              He devoted a lot of effort to smoothing the water flow around his
              underbody to deliver the least disrupted water to the prop.

              He was very specific about what prop operating at what prop speed.

              He loved the flat shaft runs of the Seabright style boats and would
              speak of the effiency gained through thier level installation.

              He liked to splay his shaft a few degrees from centerline to offset
              propwalk. He liked it because it made the boat run truer and was
              more effiecient as the rudder was not having to be slightly cocked
              to make the boat run straight.

              And now for the possible answer to your actual question. On more
              than one occasion he commented on how HE would stick the prop much
              farther back than what was considered normal. He said this was to
              get the prop into smoother water. He also cautioned that it would
              offend the sensiblities of many who would argue to place it in the
              more conventional location to the detriment of the design.

              Again I believe the genius of his design work was in getting many
              small details right.
            • Clifford Benshoof
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
                Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
                I'll continue on as the plans indicate.
                I did have a prop supplier suggest a 12 inch prop, 13 pitch, based on the
                size of the boat but that would mean creating a larger, taller, tunnel to
                give the prop the clearance it needs.
                My thought is that the wake may not fill the cavity if increased, causing
                other problems.
                Atkins attention to detail again causes me reluctance to change that
                demension.
                Thanks again.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
                  Don't change the tunnel!

                  On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:12:31 -0700, Clifford wrote:

                  > Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
                  > I'll continue on as the plans indicate.
                  > I did have a prop supplier suggest a 12 inch prop, 13 pitch, based on the
                  > size of the boat but that would mean creating a larger, taller, tunnel to
                  > give the prop the clearance it needs.

                  The way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and run.
                  <John Barrymore>