Re: [AtkinBoats] Unsanctioned and Little Hughey

  • Giuliano Girometta
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23 7:43 AM
      Hi Ken,
      Thank you for your replay to my post.
      Unfortunatly, all Atkin designs for seabright skiffs are for inboard motors and I think that the conversion to outboard may not be a good idea for such designs.
      I picked up the Unsanctioned and Little Hughey because the lines of the hull are very similar to the Ninigret and I read many many positive comments about such boat.
      One guy said that the speed is evenly responding to each ninimum movement of the trottle lever.
      Ninigret is designed for higher speeds with a sharp cutwater. and therefore the addition of a small cabin may not be appropriate due to the lower buoyancy on the fore section and will be not in harmony with the lower freeboard. (I need higher headroom because of my wife health problems) The cabin will be mainly for the "Portapotty" while the pilothouse must be totally enclosed even if small enough for just two people in order to allow pleasant boat rides in winter time without freezing (We are getting old).
      I think also that the Unsanctioned may be built much lighter by using cedar strip planking (5/8 thick as per my scantling calculation) instead of the 3 layers of 3/8 ext plywood as suggested by the original drawings. (As stated by John Atkin on the study plan, the plywood construction was at the very early stage at that time and the Unsanctioned was the first plywood boat designed by the Atkin's.

      Giuliano