TALLY-HO MAJOR

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2008
      Hi every one I live in Australia and I am thinking of building a tally
      ho major would any one be kind enough to send me some photos interior
      or exterior so i can get a little feel for the boat also want is the
      connection with tally ho major and cape george cutters if any . thanks
      you
    • richardflint60
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2009
        Hi!

        I just took ownership of the Tally-Ho Major "African Star." She was at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, WA, but is now in Benton City, WA. I am wondering if anybody knows of a surveyor on the "East Side" that might be willing to look her over. Also, any suggestions on books for wooden boat repair - stem, transom, replanking and refastening?
      • Robert Allshouse
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2009
          Conragulations, of all of Atkin's designs I like the Tally-Ho style is my absolute favorite.

          There are many helpful books out there, but IMO the bible is Chapell's 'Boatbuilding'. Being a cabinetmaker and sculptor (hack), the best thing you can do is talk to and pic the brains of as many local 'builders' as you can. There are 'tricks' to doing things that can't be easily written down (sic: So how to you get that garboard to make that twist????'

          Good luck! Love to see some pics.

          Robert Allshouse

          Bobbie

          To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
          From: richardflint60@...
          Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 04:04:06 +0000
          Subject: [AtkinBoats] TALLY-HO MAJOR

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2009
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "richardflint60" <richardflint60@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I just took ownership of the Tally-Ho Major "African Star." She was at the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, WA, but is now in Benton City, WA. I am wondering if anybody knows of a surveyor on the "East Side" that might be willing to look her over. Also, any suggestions on books for wooden boat repair - stem, transom, replanking and refastening?

            Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you but best of luck I'm building a tally ho major in Tasmania, double strip planked, just put some new photos up by the way let me know if i can help cheers
          • Michael Walther
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8, 2009
              Hi, would that Tally Ho in Tazmania be GALLIFREY? In other words let us know where to look:) I'd like to see it. Thanks, Mike

              > > I just took ownership of the Tally-Ho Major "African
              > Star."  She was at the Northwest School of Wooden
              > Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, WA, but is now in Benton City,
              > WA.  I am wondering if anybody knows of a surveyor on
              > the "East Side" that might be willing to look her
              > over.  Also, any suggestions on books for wooden boat
              > repair - stem, transom, replanking and refastening?
              > >
              > Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you but best of
              > luck I'm building a tally ho major in Tasmania, double strip
              > planked, just put some new photos up by the way let me know
              > if i can help cheers
              >

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
              > Please be polite.
              >
              > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
              > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
              > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
              > performance of the resulting boat.

              > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >     mailto:AtkinBoats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Adrian
              Message 6 of 8 , May 8, 2009
                yes Gallifrey is it just sold my last boat so have some more money should see some more progress soon just put stern tube in see pics motor (yanmar 3gm30 )is in place also looking for lead know

                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2009
                  Hi Timelord Adrian, Obviously I like the name, fist time I heard Doctor Who say 'Gallifrey' I thought it was beautiful. Other than being the planet of Timelord's is there any other meaning besides it being a beautiful name with a boat to match? Did Google, got lost for a while 3 or 4 hrs., 11 pages +, some really neat stuf, great music, only found reference to the show, wonder where they got it. Thanks for the verification, you seem to be progressing well a-and give good pix, Mike

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 9, 2009
                    hi mike yes i am also a time lord dr adrian to you ha ha yah i heard the name on the show which is my favourite and thought great name so it stuck much to my wife distaste so ill keep you guys posted on progress