Re: Cypress as a boatbuilding material? Suitable for planking? Help!

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
      I've got a cypress picnic table in my back yard. My dad built it fifty
      years ago. The wood he used was reclaimed from a water tank for a
      neighborhood running water system which was became obsolete when the
      town installed a municipal water system (a long long time ago). The
      wood is quite likely a hundred years old, and has been out in the
      weather the whole time, and is essentially rot free. In addition, I
      find it to be a very pleasant wood to work with. It can absorb a lot
      of water, and as a consequence, it expands and contracts more than
      most woods. I think I have heard that the remarkable rot resistance is
      present only in the heartwood.

      If you're going to use cypress, be sure to build a boat that you'll
      want to last a long time. If it's a little bit out of plumb or a
      little bit ugly, you'll have lots of time for regrets. On the other
      hand, that clear white pine will likely be gone in less than fifteen
      years.

      Walter Owens

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Martin" <jhoneycutt277@...>