Re: Cypress as a boatbuilding material? Suitable for planking? Help!

  • JJ & Irene
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17 8:24 PM
      Cypress is a great for planking, It is rot resistant, strong, and limber. However when it is green it is not the easiest wood to cut. When I was a kid I made my Mom a cypres knee lamp. My cousin and I spent 2 days just cutting a knee about 4" in diameter. Neither of ever tried to cut another...

      Jewel (aka JJ) & Irene Johnson
      Rockport, Texas

    • waltbald
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17 8:41 PM
        I've got a cypress picnic table in my back yard. My dad built it fifty
        years ago. The wood he used was reclaimed from a water tank for a
        neighborhood running water system which was became obsolete when the
        town installed a municipal water system (a long long time ago). The
        wood is quite likely a hundred years old, and has been out in the
        weather the whole time, and is essentially rot free. In addition, I
        find it to be a very pleasant wood to work with. It can absorb a lot
        of water, and as a consequence, it expands and contracts more than
        most woods. I think I have heard that the remarkable rot resistance is
        present only in the heartwood.

        If you're going to use cypress, be sure to build a boat that you'll
        want to last a long time. If it's a little bit out of plumb or a
        little bit ugly, you'll have lots of time for regrets. On the other
        hand, that clear white pine will likely be gone in less than fifteen
        years.

        Walter Owens

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Martin" <jhoneycutt277@...>