Re: [AtkinBoats] Cypress as a boatbuilding material? Suitable for planking? Help!

  • Michael Walther
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
      Hi Jerry, I don't ever recall seeing Cypress but have always heard its praises mostly for interior woodworking. I seem to remember hearing the wood paneling on the t.v. set office of 'Perry Mason' (Dahhh...DA,DA, Dah) was Cypress, don't know for sure, beautiful anyway. Because of reputation and what seems to me inexpensive price, I would get Cypress for some other project (furn?) & Pine for the boat. Thanks, Mike

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
        Cypress is a great for planking, It is rot resistant, strong, and limber. However when it is green it is not the easiest wood to cut. When I was a kid I made my Mom a cypres knee lamp. My cousin and I spent 2 days just cutting a knee about 4" in diameter. Neither of ever tried to cut another...

        Jewel (aka JJ) & Irene Johnson
        Rockport, Texas

      • waltbald
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
          I've got a cypress picnic table in my back yard. My dad built it fifty
          years ago. The wood he used was reclaimed from a water tank for a
          neighborhood running water system which was became obsolete when the
          town installed a municipal water system (a long long time ago). The
          wood is quite likely a hundred years old, and has been out in the
          weather the whole time, and is essentially rot free. In addition, I
          find it to be a very pleasant wood to work with. It can absorb a lot
          of water, and as a consequence, it expands and contracts more than
          most woods. I think I have heard that the remarkable rot resistance is
          present only in the heartwood.

          If you're going to use cypress, be sure to build a boat that you'll
          want to last a long time. If it's a little bit out of plumb or a
          little bit ugly, you'll have lots of time for regrets. On the other
          hand, that clear white pine will likely be gone in less than fifteen
          years.

          Walter Owens

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Martin" <jhoneycutt277@...>