Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Cypress as a boatbuilding material? Suitable for planking? Help!

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
      If I'm not mistaken they used to make water pipes using
      cypress down south, and they buried them in the ground with
      no worry about rot. Some lasted more than 100 years too
      from what I recall.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > When I was a young man I built a 14 foot Chesapeake bay
      > skiff of cypress. I slid it into the back of my pickup
      > and then out into the Cheasapeake bay by myself. We used
      > it all summer and in the fall I needed to haul it out and
      > paint the bottom. The skiff that I had loaded and
      > launched alone took five friends to drag it from the
      > water, It had absorbed about 500 pounds of water over the
      > summer. That is the only drawback of Cypress. Good wood
      > for a workboat because when saturated with water it
      > becomes tough and stringy, also heavy. Mike
    • Michael Walther
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
        Hi Jerry, I don't ever recall seeing Cypress but have always heard its praises mostly for interior woodworking. I seem to remember hearing the wood paneling on the t.v. set office of 'Perry Mason' (Dahhh...DA,DA, Dah) was Cypress, don't know for sure, beautiful anyway. Because of reputation and what seems to me inexpensive price, I would get Cypress for some other project (furn?) & Pine for the boat. Thanks, Mike

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
          Cypress is a great for planking, It is rot resistant, strong, and limber. However when it is green it is not the easiest wood to cut. When I was a kid I made my Mom a cypres knee lamp. My cousin and I spent 2 days just cutting a knee about 4" in diameter. Neither of ever tried to cut another...

          Jewel (aka JJ) & Irene Johnson
          Rockport, Texas

        • waltbald
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
            I've got a cypress picnic table in my back yard. My dad built it fifty
            years ago. The wood he used was reclaimed from a water tank for a
            neighborhood running water system which was became obsolete when the
            town installed a municipal water system (a long long time ago). The
            wood is quite likely a hundred years old, and has been out in the
            weather the whole time, and is essentially rot free. In addition, I
            find it to be a very pleasant wood to work with. It can absorb a lot
            of water, and as a consequence, it expands and contracts more than
            most woods. I think I have heard that the remarkable rot resistance is
            present only in the heartwood.

            If you're going to use cypress, be sure to build a boat that you'll
            want to last a long time. If it's a little bit out of plumb or a
            little bit ugly, you'll have lots of time for regrets. On the other
            hand, that clear white pine will likely be gone in less than fifteen
            years.

            Walter Owens

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Martin" <jhoneycutt277@...>