Re: [AtkinBoats] Cypress as a boatbuilding material? Suitable for planking? Help!

  • Pablo Besser
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
      cypress is a top material for planking at least here in south america.

      2008/7/16, Jerry Martin <jhoneycutt277@...>:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have the Atkin Freda Himmelmann dory plans and access to some nice air
      > dried cypress for a good price. I was wondering if anyone here has
      > experience with using this wood as planking for their boat? I would
      > appreciate any input. I can also get some clear white pine, albeit at a
      > slightly higher price. I have also considered using marine ply as a
      > non-traditional material, lapstraked & Epoxied per John and Ruth Ann
      > Hill's book.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Jerry

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
        When I was a young man I built a 14 foot Chesapeake bay skiff of
        cypress. I slid it into the back of my pickup and then out into the
        Cheasapeake bay by myself. We used it all summer and in the fall I
        needed to haul it out and paint the bottom. The skiff that I had loaded
        and launched alone took five friends to drag it from the water, It had
        absorbed about 500 pounds of water over the summer. That is the only
        drawback of Cypress. Good wood for a workboat because when saturated
        with water it becomes tough and stringy, also heavy.
        Mike
      • Kenneth Grome
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
          If I'm not mistaken they used to make water pipes using
          cypress down south, and they buried them in the ground with
          no worry about rot. Some lasted more than 100 years too
          from what I recall.

          Sincerely,
          Ken Grome
          Bagacay Boatworks
          www.bagacayboatworks.com

          > When I was a young man I built a 14 foot Chesapeake bay
          > skiff of cypress. I slid it into the back of my pickup
          > and then out into the Cheasapeake bay by myself. We used
          > it all summer and in the fall I needed to haul it out and
          > paint the bottom. The skiff that I had loaded and
          > launched alone took five friends to drag it from the
          > water, It had absorbed about 500 pounds of water over the
          > summer. That is the only drawback of Cypress. Good wood
          > for a workboat because when saturated with water it
          > becomes tough and stringy, also heavy. Mike
        • Michael Walther
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
            Hi Jerry, I don't ever recall seeing Cypress but have always heard its praises mostly for interior woodworking. I seem to remember hearing the wood paneling on the t.v. set office of 'Perry Mason' (Dahhh...DA,DA, Dah) was Cypress, don't know for sure, beautiful anyway. Because of reputation and what seems to me inexpensive price, I would get Cypress for some other project (furn?) & Pine for the boat. Thanks, Mike

            > I have the Atkin Freda Himmelmann dory plans and access to
            > some nice air
            > dried cypress for a good price. I was wondering if anyone
            > here has
            > experience with using this wood as planking for their boat?
            > I would
            > appreciate any input. I can also get some clear white pine,
            > albeit at a
            > slightly higher price. I have also considered using marine
            > ply as a
            > non-traditional material, lapstraked & Epoxied per John
            > and Ruth Ann
            > Hill's book.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Jerry
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
            > Please be polite.
            >
            > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
            > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
            > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
            > performance of the resulting boat.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • JJ & Irene
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
              Cypress is a great for planking, It is rot resistant, strong, and limber. However when it is green it is not the easiest wood to cut. When I was a kid I made my Mom a cypres knee lamp. My cousin and I spent 2 days just cutting a knee about 4" in diameter. Neither of ever tried to cut another...

              Jewel (aka JJ) & Irene Johnson
              Rockport, Texas

            • waltbald
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
                I've got a cypress picnic table in my back yard. My dad built it fifty
                years ago. The wood he used was reclaimed from a water tank for a
                neighborhood running water system which was became obsolete when the
                town installed a municipal water system (a long long time ago). The
                wood is quite likely a hundred years old, and has been out in the
                weather the whole time, and is essentially rot free. In addition, I
                find it to be a very pleasant wood to work with. It can absorb a lot
                of water, and as a consequence, it expands and contracts more than
                most woods. I think I have heard that the remarkable rot resistance is
                present only in the heartwood.

                If you're going to use cypress, be sure to build a boat that you'll
                want to last a long time. If it's a little bit out of plumb or a
                little bit ugly, you'll have lots of time for regrets. On the other
                hand, that clear white pine will likely be gone in less than fifteen
                years.

                Walter Owens

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Martin" <jhoneycutt277@...>