Cypress as a boatbuilding material? Suitable for planking? Help!

  • Jerry Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
      Hi,

      I have the Atkin Freda Himmelmann dory plans and access to some nice air
      dried cypress for a good price. I was wondering if anyone here has
      experience with using this wood as planking for their boat? I would
      appreciate any input. I can also get some clear white pine, albeit at a
      slightly higher price. I have also considered using marine ply as a
      non-traditional material, lapstraked & Epoxied per John and Ruth Ann
      Hill's book.

      Best regards,

      Jerry
    • Pablo Besser
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
        cypress is a top material for planking at least here in south america.

        2008/7/16, Jerry Martin <jhoneycutt277@...>:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have the Atkin Freda Himmelmann dory plans and access to some nice air
        > dried cypress for a good price. I was wondering if anyone here has
        > experience with using this wood as planking for their boat? I would
        > appreciate any input. I can also get some clear white pine, albeit at a
        > slightly higher price. I have also considered using marine ply as a
        > non-traditional material, lapstraked & Epoxied per John and Ruth Ann
        > Hill's book.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Jerry

      • Giuliano Girometta
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
          Cypress is extremly root resistant. The weight is not as light as cedar but is much stronger than cedar. Cypress absorb a lot of water and therefore increase his weight when wet.
          I was thinking to use cypress as well for my planking because I can obtain such lumber at a reasonable price from my wholesale lumber supplier. Then I was planning to epoxy and glass the outside and coat the inside first with the 50WR (water reducible epoxy) from "Fasco" reduced to 1 part epoxy and 2 parts of water, then a second coat reduced 1 to 1 epoxy/water and then coat the inside with untickened epoxy and then the final coatings whatever you like. (I prefer to coat the inside with a clear transparent finish so any problem can be spotted immediatly when the ficlear finish start turning milky and after the moisture reach the wood, this start turning black. (In this way you can spot immediatly any source of rot and take immediate action without having to replace any wood.
          White pine is rated as low to moderate resistant to decay but is reasonably lighter light in weight. My 2c. I will go with cypress.

          I will be also interested to know what others are thinking about Cypress and my idea to stop the water absorbtion in the cypres when used as planking. (I use the 50WR on regular basis on yachts to seal any type of  exterior exotic wood items prior to apply the regular finish).

          For me the solution of the cypress is now gone because today I am going to pick up a large pail of old cedar boards (about 80 boards 12"x1"x12') that I paid only $100.00. and the retail cost here is about $23.00 per each board. (There will be a little of waste and nails on the edges to cut out but still a good deal).

          Giuliano

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
            Please don't pay attention to all the mispelling and gramatical errors on my previous post.
            English is not my mother language, and I was interrupted at least 10 times while I was writing the post.

            Giuliano

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
              When I was a young man I built a 14 foot Chesapeake bay skiff of
              cypress. I slid it into the back of my pickup and then out into the
              Cheasapeake bay by myself. We used it all summer and in the fall I
              needed to haul it out and paint the bottom. The skiff that I had loaded
              and launched alone took five friends to drag it from the water, It had
              absorbed about 500 pounds of water over the summer. That is the only
              drawback of Cypress. Good wood for a workboat because when saturated
              with water it becomes tough and stringy, also heavy.
              Mike
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 16, 2008
                If I'm not mistaken they used to make water pipes using
                cypress down south, and they buried them in the ground with
                no worry about rot. Some lasted more than 100 years too
                from what I recall.

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                > When I was a young man I built a 14 foot Chesapeake bay
                > skiff of cypress. I slid it into the back of my pickup
                > and then out into the Cheasapeake bay by myself. We used
                > it all summer and in the fall I needed to haul it out and
                > paint the bottom. The skiff that I had loaded and
                > launched alone took five friends to drag it from the
                > water, It had absorbed about 500 pounds of water over the
                > summer. That is the only drawback of Cypress. Good wood
                > for a workboat because when saturated with water it
                > becomes tough and stringy, also heavy. Mike
              • Michael Walther
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
                  Hi Jerry, I don't ever recall seeing Cypress but have always heard its praises mostly for interior woodworking. I seem to remember hearing the wood paneling on the t.v. set office of 'Perry Mason' (Dahhh...DA,DA, Dah) was Cypress, don't know for sure, beautiful anyway. Because of reputation and what seems to me inexpensive price, I would get Cypress for some other project (furn?) & Pine for the boat. Thanks, Mike

                  > I have the Atkin Freda Himmelmann dory plans and access to
                  > some nice air
                  > dried cypress for a good price. I was wondering if anyone
                  > here has
                  > experience with using this wood as planking for their boat?
                  > I would
                  > appreciate any input. I can also get some clear white pine,
                  > albeit at a
                  > slightly higher price. I have also considered using marine
                  > ply as a
                  > non-traditional material, lapstraked & Epoxied per John
                  > and Ruth Ann
                  > Hill's book.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > Jerry
                  >

                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
                  > Please be polite.
                  >
                  > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
                  > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
                  > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
                  > performance of the resulting boat.

                  > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • JJ & Irene
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
                    Cypress is a great for planking, It is rot resistant, strong, and limber. However when it is green it is not the easiest wood to cut. When I was a kid I made my Mom a cypres knee lamp. My cousin and I spent 2 days just cutting a knee about 4" in diameter. Neither of ever tried to cut another...

                    Jewel (aka JJ) & Irene Johnson
                    Rockport, Texas

                  • waltbald
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 17, 2008
                      I've got a cypress picnic table in my back yard. My dad built it fifty
                      years ago. The wood he used was reclaimed from a water tank for a
                      neighborhood running water system which was became obsolete when the
                      town installed a municipal water system (a long long time ago). The
                      wood is quite likely a hundred years old, and has been out in the
                      weather the whole time, and is essentially rot free. In addition, I
                      find it to be a very pleasant wood to work with. It can absorb a lot
                      of water, and as a consequence, it expands and contracts more than
                      most woods. I think I have heard that the remarkable rot resistance is
                      present only in the heartwood.

                      If you're going to use cypress, be sure to build a boat that you'll
                      want to last a long time. If it's a little bit out of plumb or a
                      little bit ugly, you'll have lots of time for regrets. On the other
                      hand, that clear white pine will likely be gone in less than fifteen
                      years.

                      Walter Owens

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Martin" <jhoneycutt277@...>