Re: How To Build A Wooden Boat

  • gordocutter_1
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 13, 2008
      Hello Mike!How are you? Thank you for the kindly words, its seems
      that you reach what I was trying to say, I don't know why I was
      misinterpreted by Gordon but I'll sure be more careful for now on
      if I make any comment on the group.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>
      wrote:

      > I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
      > really has a significantly different meaning and measure for
      Gordo.
      > He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is
      plenty
      > of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
      > more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.
      >
      > Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
      > sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
      > useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
      > laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.
      >
      > I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
      > whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's
      just
      > trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
      > He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins
      design.

      > Mike Dolph
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Arrogant
      > >
      > > I don't know, probably am.
      > > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
      > Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
      > > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car
      Hall
      > Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
      > > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs
      and
      > owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf
      game.

      > > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
      > Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
      > it's first storm right now.
      > >
      > > Gordon Brimhall

      You
      > > don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment
      about
      > > an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
      > > trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge
      like
      > > yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not
      with
      > > my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can
      tell
      > > you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT
      can
      > > kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.
      > >
      > > Adaucto Mello
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Always somebody like you around.
      > > > Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
      > > > has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
      > > > But it also has positive flotation and will not sink
      > > >
      > > > smile
      > > >
      > > > So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?
      > > >
      > > > I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend
      my time
      > > on forums
      > > > telling other people their boat is going to sink
      > > >
      > > > Gordon

      Buehlers
      > > > methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

      Slocum
      > > > Spray

      What's
      > > the

      > > > span
      > > > tasks,
      > > common

    • javadave2
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
        Hope to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival! We just
        got the sail fitted yesterday and should have the Magic Wing there
        Friday morning:

        http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=561

        Pictures will be posted to the site next week.

        Dave