Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: How To Build A Wooden Boat

  • Gordon
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
      That is OK
      I am here for the next build of either a Geroge Buehlers heavy 29 to 33 ft or a Atkins design same thing for when I try for the Oldest ATW record if I even live to be 81 yrs old. But that gives me 14 years in planning and building. Some will say that is a pipe dream but my who life has been one Dream after another. I have worked hard all my life making my dreams come true like many others I think. Even going to college later after I was married with 3 kids and holding down a full time job as a machinist at McDonald Douglas Aircraft and only getting a few hrs sleep was not easy but it had to be done or my future would have not been as good as it has.

      If I had room I would quote some of tristan Jones writings about having dreams, I saved all his books for last and they are good. "Ice" especially. I have read probably every cruising book available over the past 25 yrs, many before I ever bought my first sailboat. My insperation was Tania Aebi and now I share emails with her 20 yrs after she sailed around the world as a young 18 yrs old.

      Gordon

      Always a Dream

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
        Remember:-

        You are not old until your dreams are replaced by regrets....

        Alan

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

        Of fame http://www.slotcars <http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/>

        ups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@> wrote:

        > the
        > > > layout offset lines? I am building a small 9' 6" Josh Slocum
        > > Spray
        > > > and laying out my frames I really don't care if the extra 1/2"
        > > > planking or what ever I use makes my boat a little fatter.

      • gordocutter_1
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 13, 2008
          Hello Mike!How are you? Thank you for the kindly words, its seems
          that you reach what I was trying to say, I don't know why I was
          misinterpreted by Gordon but I'll sure be more careful for now on
          if I make any comment on the group.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>
          wrote:

          > I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
          > really has a significantly different meaning and measure for
          Gordo.
          > He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is
          plenty
          > of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
          > more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.
          >
          > Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
          > sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
          > useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
          > laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.
          >
          > I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
          > whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's
          just
          > trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
          > He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins
          design.

          > Mike Dolph
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Arrogant
          > >
          > > I don't know, probably am.
          > > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
          > Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
          > > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car
          Hall
          > Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
          > > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs
          and
          > owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf
          game.

          > > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
          > Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
          > it's first storm right now.
          > >
          > > Gordon Brimhall

        • javadave2
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1 11:43 AM
            Hope to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival! We just
            got the sail fitted yesterday and should have the Magic Wing there
            Friday morning:

            http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=561

            Pictures will be posted to the site next week.

            Dave