Re: How To Build A Wooden Boat

  • gordocutter_1
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
      You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
      telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
      don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
      an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
      trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
      yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
      my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
      you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
      kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

      Adaucto Mello

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

      > Always somebody like you around.
      > Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
      > has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
      > But it also has positive flotation and will not sink
      >
      > smile
      >
      > So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?
      >
      > I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time
      on forums
      > telling other people their boat is going to sink
      >
      > Gordon

      Roberts
      > Gratus, lines only and nothing else. Building to George Buehlers
      > methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org
      > >
      > > Thanks for your comments
      > >
      > > Gordon

    • Gordon
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
        Arrogant

        I don't know, probably am.
        I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker, Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
        (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
        Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

        You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through it's first storm right now.

        Gordon Brimhall

        You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
        telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
        don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
        an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
        trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
        yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
        my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
        you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
        kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

        Adaucto Mello

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

        > Always somebody like you around.
        > Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
        > has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
        > But it also has positive flotation and will not sink
        >
        > smile
        >
        > So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?
        >
        > I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time
        on forums
        > telling other people their boat is going to sink
        >
        > Gordon

      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
          I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
          really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
          He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
          of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
          more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

          Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
          sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
          useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
          laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

          I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
          whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
          trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
          He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

          Mike Dolph

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
            That is OK
            I am here for the next build of either a Geroge Buehlers heavy 29 to 33 ft or a Atkins design same thing for when I try for the Oldest ATW record if I even live to be 81 yrs old. But that gives me 14 years in planning and building. Some will say that is a pipe dream but my who life has been one Dream after another. I have worked hard all my life making my dreams come true like many others I think. Even going to college later after I was married with 3 kids and holding down a full time job as a machinist at McDonald Douglas Aircraft and only getting a few hrs sleep was not easy but it had to be done or my future would have not been as good as it has.

            If I had room I would quote some of tristan Jones writings about having dreams, I saved all his books for last and they are good. "Ice" especially. I have read probably every cruising book available over the past 25 yrs, many before I ever bought my first sailboat. My insperation was Tania Aebi and now I share emails with her 20 yrs after she sailed around the world as a young 18 yrs old.

            Gordon

            Always a Dream

            I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
            really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
            He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
            of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
            more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

            Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
            sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
            useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
            laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

            I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
            whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
            trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
            He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

            Mike Dolph

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

            > Arrogant
            >
            > I don't know, probably am.
            > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
            Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
            > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall
            Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
            > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and
            owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

            > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
            Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
            it's first storm right now.

            > Gordon Brimhall

          • Alan Boman
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
              Remember:-

              You are not old until your dreams are replaced by regrets....

              Alan

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

              Of fame http://www.slotcars <http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/>

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 13, 2008
                Hello Mike!How are you? Thank you for the kindly words, its seems
                that you reach what I was trying to say, I don't know why I was
                misinterpreted by Gordon but I'll sure be more careful for now on
                if I make any comment on the group.

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>
                wrote:

                > I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                > really has a significantly different meaning and measure for
                Gordo.
                > He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is
                plenty
                > of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                > more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.
                >
                > Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                > sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                > useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                > laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.
                >
                > I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                > whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's
                just
                > trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                > He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins
                design.

                > Mike Dolph
                >
                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Arrogant
                > >
                > > I don't know, probably am.
                > > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
                > Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
                > > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car
                Hall
                > Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
                > > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs
                and
                > owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf
                game.

                > > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
                > Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
                > it's first storm right now.
                > >
                > > Gordon Brimhall

              • javadave2
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                  Hope to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival! We just
                  got the sail fitted yesterday and should have the Magic Wing there
                  Friday morning:

                  http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=561

                  Pictures will be posted to the site next week.

                  Dave