Freda M. Himmelmann - First Time Builder - Plywood Lapstrake & Epoxy Method

  • Jerry Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      For years now I have wanted to build a Bank Dory, I live up in NW
      Connecticut now and have a big enough barn to do it in. I ordered the
      Freda M. Himmelmann plans and hope to get started pretty soon. I have
      been scouring the internet for lofting information, material
      recommendations and other handy tips. I have some really nice dense,
      hard and seasoned Chestnut 5"x5"'s that I plan on using for the stem,
      some white oak for the framing and a marine plywood bottom. I am going
      to lapstrake plank it, again using marine plywood. A little Yamaha 9.9
      in a inboard motor well with tiller steering should finish it off. I
      will probably coat the entire outside of the hull in a light layer of
      epoxy resin and cloth with extra on the bottom. I am not too concerned
      with weight, actually I am going to put an 8D cat battery in next to
      the engine well and have the outboard charge it for radio, lights,
      stereo system etc. From what I understand a little extra weight inside
      the hull at a low CG is desired. If anyone has built one of these
      please respond with any comments. I will keep this forum posted with
      my efforts. Best regards,

      Jerry Honeycutt