Re: How To Build A Wooden Boat

  • javadave2
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
      Sounds like an interesting project on the famous boat, I'll keep an
      eye at the site, good luck!

      Dave

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

      > Not building a mold and all I have are lines in 1" = 1 ft scale
      that I am coming up with the lofting numbers from. Building it the
      old way plank on frame multi chine. I could lay the frames out
      deducting for the plank thickness but my question was does it make a
      difference? To me it does not.

      > This is a one of a kind boat anyway and if you think real hard you
      can say it is a Mini Spray and I got the lines from Bruce Roberts
      Gratus, lines only and nothing else. Building to George Buehlers
      methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

      > Thanks for your comments
      >
      > Gordon

      It
      > probably would be much easier to pattern the moulds off of the
      inside
      > of the planking than trying to make a bunch of adjustments to the
      > keel and stem, veering from the design. Or, if you've already
      built
      > your moulds, you could draw the inner plank lines on them and
      recut
      > to those lines.
      >
      > Good luck, hope this helps!
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > How much does it matter if you allow for the planking from the
      > layout offset lines? I am building a small 9' 6" Josh Slocum
      Spray
      > and laying out my frames I really don't care if the extra 1/2"
      > planking or what ever I use makes my boat a little fatter.
      > >
      > > Gordon

    • gordocutter_1
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
        What a tremendous challenge you're going into! I saw the page! I was
        always interested in the history of Slocum, and also about his boat,
        after all lots of people like the Joshua lines, but I read something
        disturbing about her, its seems that in strong conditions of weather
        a boat of her lines and dimensions became unstable and can capsize
        and not get right side up again, that was one of the explanation
        about the disappear of Slocum in his last journey. This was a study
        made by an naval arquitet I read in a article in the web, don't know
        if it's true.

        methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

        > Thanks for your comments
        >
        > Gordon

      • Gordon
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
          Always somebody like you around.
          Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
          has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
          But it also has positive flotation and will not sink

          smile

          So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?

          I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time on forums
          telling other people their boat is going to sink

          Gordon

          methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
            You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
            telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
            don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
            an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
            trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
            yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
            my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
            you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
            kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

            Adaucto Mello

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
              Arrogant

              I don't know, probably am.
              I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker, Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
              (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
              Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

              You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through it's first storm right now.

              Gordon Brimhall

              You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
              telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
              don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
              an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
              trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
              yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
              my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
              you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
              kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

              Adaucto Mello

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

              > Always somebody like you around.
              > Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
              > has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
              > But it also has positive flotation and will not sink
              >
              > smile
              >
              > So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?
              >
              > I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time
              on forums
              > telling other people their boat is going to sink
              >
              > Gordon

            • Mike Dolph
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
                He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
                of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

                Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

                I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
                trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

                Mike Dolph

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                  That is OK
                  I am here for the next build of either a Geroge Buehlers heavy 29 to 33 ft or a Atkins design same thing for when I try for the Oldest ATW record if I even live to be 81 yrs old. But that gives me 14 years in planning and building. Some will say that is a pipe dream but my who life has been one Dream after another. I have worked hard all my life making my dreams come true like many others I think. Even going to college later after I was married with 3 kids and holding down a full time job as a machinist at McDonald Douglas Aircraft and only getting a few hrs sleep was not easy but it had to be done or my future would have not been as good as it has.

                  If I had room I would quote some of tristan Jones writings about having dreams, I saved all his books for last and they are good. "Ice" especially. I have read probably every cruising book available over the past 25 yrs, many before I ever bought my first sailboat. My insperation was Tania Aebi and now I share emails with her 20 yrs after she sailed around the world as a young 18 yrs old.

                  Gordon

                  Always a Dream

                  I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                  really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
                  He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
                  of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                  more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

                  Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                  sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                  useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                  laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

                  I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                  whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
                  trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                  He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

                  Mike Dolph

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

                  > Arrogant
                  >
                  > I don't know, probably am.
                  > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
                  Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
                  > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall
                  Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
                  > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and
                  owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

                  > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
                  Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
                  it's first storm right now.

                  > Gordon Brimhall

                • Alan Boman
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                    Remember:-

                    You are not old until your dreams are replaced by regrets....

                    Alan

                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

                    Of fame http://www.slotcars <http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/>

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 13, 2008
                      Hello Mike!How are you? Thank you for the kindly words, its seems
                      that you reach what I was trying to say, I don't know why I was
                      misinterpreted by Gordon but I'll sure be more careful for now on
                      if I make any comment on the group.

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Hope to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival! We just
                        got the sail fitted yesterday and should have the Magic Wing there
                        Friday morning:

                        http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=561

                        Pictures will be posted to the site next week.

                        Dave