Re: How To Build A Wooden Boat

  • hotwizard44
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
        What's your name hotwizard? Welcome aboard!

        The "deducted body plan" is what you've got after you deduct the thickness
        of the planking. It's used to make the molds, or the frames if you're
        using sawn frames.

        On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 21:19:23 -0700, hotwizard44 wrote:

        > There are many things I don't know about lofting. What's a 'deducted
        > body plan'?
        >> David Clemmer has created an excellent photo essay of the building of
        >> Vintage:
        >>
        >> http://tinyurl.com/6y8hee

        It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty
        gods or no God. <Thomas Jefferson>
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
          I'm looking forward to seeing Dave's Vintage at Port Townsend! Is it going
          to be on display, or are you just going to visit, Dave? We won't be having
          an Atkin booth at the festival, but I'll have my little, non-Atkin, camp
          cruiser on display down on the dock. All of you are invited to stop by and
          say, "hi."

          http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj

          On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:33:09 -0700, Dave C wrote:

          > Thanks John! We plan to have her in the water for rowing within a
          > week, hopefully making the tail end of the Lake Union Wooden Boat
          > Festival. We should have the hand sewn Egyptian Cotton sprits'l ready
          > sometime in August, so she'll be in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat
          > Festival with the full rig.

          If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
          guise of fighting a foreign enemy. <James Madison>
        • javadave2
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
            The body plan in the design plans for Vintage (as with most design
            plans) are drawn to the outside of the planking. On the loft,
            the 'deducted body plan' are the additional lines drawn to the inside
            of the planking. The moulds are patterned from these lines. Are
            there other terms for 'deducted body plan'?
            Dave

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "hotwizard44" <hotwizard44@...>

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
              That's the plan, to have the boat on display at Port Townsend! I'll
              also bring the mylar lofts (and other calculations and stability
              curves), and some old related books. Hope to see you there!

              We launched the Vintage yesterday morning and rowed her over for the
              last day of the Lake Union Wooden Boat Festival. I also asked my gal
              Marie to marry me on our maiden voyage. She said yes!

              I'll have new pics posted late tonight.
              Dave

              > I'm looking forward to seeing Dave's Vintage at Port Townsend! Is
              it going
              > to be on display, or are you just going to visit, Dave? We won't be
              having
              > an Atkin booth at the festival, but I'll have my little, non-Atkin,
              camp
              > cruiser on display down on the dock. All of you are invited to stop
              by and
              > say, "hi."
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj
              >
              > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:33:09 -0700, Dave C wrote:
              >
              > > Thanks John! We plan to have her in the water for rowing within a
              > > week, hopefully making the tail end of the Lake Union Wooden Boat
              > > Festival. We should have the hand sewn Egyptian Cotton sprits'l
              ready
              > > sometime in August, so she'll be in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat
              > > Festival with the full rig.
              >
              > --
              > John <jkohnen@...>
              > If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
              > guise of fighting a foreign enemy. <James Madison>

            • Gordon
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                How much does it matter if you allow for the planking from the layout offset lines? I am building a small 9' 6" Josh Slocum Spray and laying out my frames I really don't care if the extra 1/2" planking or what ever I use makes my boat a little fatter.

                Gordon

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                  Well good luck on the getting married thing. I would rather have a new boat myself but I been married 40 yrs now and my wife has always let me get a new boat when I wanted one. Hope your Marie is the same way.

                  Gordon

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                    Well, it may not matter too much if you added an inch of beam, but
                    you could run into a number of other issues without doing the
                    deducted body plan. For example, if you built your moulds off of the
                    outside of the planking on the body plan, that would change your stem
                    and keel in profile, and the corresponding rabbet and bearding
                    lines. I don't know how much this would affect the Spray design. It
                    probably would be much easier to pattern the moulds off of the inside
                    of the planking than trying to make a bunch of adjustments to the
                    keel and stem, veering from the design. Or, if you've already built
                    your moulds, you could draw the inner plank lines on them and recut
                    to those lines.

                    Good luck, hope this helps!
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                      Not building a mold and all I have are lines in 1" = 1 ft scale that I am coming up with the lofting numbers from. Building it the old way plank on frame multi chine. I could lay the frames out deducting for the plank thickness but my question was does it make a difference? To me it does not.

                      This is a one of a kind boat anyway and if you think real hard you can say it is a Mini Spray and I got the lines from Bruce Roberts Gratus, lines only and nothing else. Building to George Buehlers methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                      Thanks for your comments

                      Gordon

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                        Sounds like an interesting project on the famous boat, I'll keep an
                        eye at the site, good luck!

                        methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                        > Thanks for your comments
                        >
                        > Gordon

                      • gordocutter_1
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                          What a tremendous challenge you're going into! I saw the page! I was
                          always interested in the history of Slocum, and also about his boat,
                          after all lots of people like the Joshua lines, but I read something
                          disturbing about her, its seems that in strong conditions of weather
                          a boat of her lines and dimensions became unstable and can capsize
                          and not get right side up again, that was one of the explanation
                          about the disappear of Slocum in his last journey. This was a study
                          made by an naval arquitet I read in a article in the web, don't know
                          if it's true.

                          methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                            Always somebody like you around.
                            Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
                            has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
                            But it also has positive flotation and will not sink

                            smile

                            So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?

                            I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time on forums
                            telling other people their boat is going to sink

                            Gordon

                            methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                              You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
                              telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
                              don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
                              an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
                              trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
                              yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
                              my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
                              you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
                              kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

                              Adaucto Mello

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                                Arrogant

                                I don't know, probably am.
                                I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker, Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
                                (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
                                Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

                                You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through it's first storm right now.

                                Gordon Brimhall

                                You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
                                telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
                                don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
                                an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
                                trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
                                yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
                                my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
                                you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
                                kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

                                Adaucto Mello

                                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

                                > Always somebody like you around.
                                > Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
                                > has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
                                > But it also has positive flotation and will not sink
                                >
                                > smile
                                >
                                > So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?
                                >
                                > I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time
                                on forums
                                > telling other people their boat is going to sink
                                >
                                > Gordon

                              • Mike Dolph
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                  I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                                  really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
                                  He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
                                  of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                                  more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

                                  Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                                  sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                                  useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                                  laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

                                  I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                                  whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
                                  trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                                  He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

                                  Mike Dolph

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                    That is OK
                                    I am here for the next build of either a Geroge Buehlers heavy 29 to 33 ft or a Atkins design same thing for when I try for the Oldest ATW record if I even live to be 81 yrs old. But that gives me 14 years in planning and building. Some will say that is a pipe dream but my who life has been one Dream after another. I have worked hard all my life making my dreams come true like many others I think. Even going to college later after I was married with 3 kids and holding down a full time job as a machinist at McDonald Douglas Aircraft and only getting a few hrs sleep was not easy but it had to be done or my future would have not been as good as it has.

                                    If I had room I would quote some of tristan Jones writings about having dreams, I saved all his books for last and they are good. "Ice" especially. I have read probably every cruising book available over the past 25 yrs, many before I ever bought my first sailboat. My insperation was Tania Aebi and now I share emails with her 20 yrs after she sailed around the world as a young 18 yrs old.

                                    Gordon

                                    Always a Dream

                                    I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                                    really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
                                    He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
                                    of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                                    more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

                                    Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                                    sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                                    useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                                    laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

                                    I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                                    whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
                                    trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                                    He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

                                    Mike Dolph

                                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

                                    > Arrogant
                                    >
                                    > I don't know, probably am.
                                    > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
                                    Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
                                    > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall
                                    Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
                                    > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and
                                    owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

                                    > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
                                    Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
                                    it's first storm right now.

                                    > Gordon Brimhall

                                  • Alan Boman
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                      Remember:-

                                      You are not old until your dreams are replaced by regrets....

                                      Alan

                                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

                                      Of fame http://www.slotcars <http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/>

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 13, 2008
                                        Hello Mike!How are you? Thank you for the kindly words, its seems
                                        that you reach what I was trying to say, I don't know why I was
                                        misinterpreted by Gordon but I'll sure be more careful for now on
                                        if I make any comment on the group.

                                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                          Hope to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival! We just
                                          got the sail fitted yesterday and should have the Magic Wing there
                                          Friday morning:

                                          http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=561

                                          Pictures will be posted to the site next week.

                                          Dave