How To Build A Wooden Boat

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 29, 2008
      David Clemmer has created an excellent photo essay of the building of a
      Vintage:

      http://tinyurl.com/6y8hee

      They're doing it Right!

      School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
      human existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks,
      new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense
      and common decency. <H. L. Mencken>
    • Giuliano Girometta
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 30, 2008
        Congratulations,
        Very nice work.

        Hi, I am Giuliano, I am following this group for a couple of months and this is my first post.
        I am planning to start building the "Little Hughey" shortly.
        I am located in Nederland TX and will be glad to meet with other wooden boat amateurs in S.E. Texas.

        Giuliano Girometta

        David Clemmer has created an excellent photo essay of the building of a
        Vintage:

        http://tinyurl.com/6y8hee

        They're doing it Right!

        School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
        human existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks,
        new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense
        and common decency. <H. L. Mencken>

        ------------------------------------

        If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you
        stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take
        no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • javadave2
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2008
          Thanks John! We plan to have her in the water for rowing within a
          week, hopefully making the tail end of the Lake Union Wooden Boat
          Festival. We should have the hand sewn Egyptian Cotton sprits'l ready
          sometime in August, so she'll be in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat
          Festival with the full rig.

          Dave

          > David Clemmer has created an excellent photo essay of the building of
          > Vintage:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/6y8hee
          >
          > They're doing it Right!
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of
          > human existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks,
          > new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense
          > and common decency. <H. L. Mencken>

        • hotwizard44
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
              What's your name hotwizard? Welcome aboard!

              The "deducted body plan" is what you've got after you deduct the thickness
              of the planking. It's used to make the molds, or the frames if you're
              using sawn frames.

              On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 21:19:23 -0700, hotwizard44 wrote:

              > There are many things I don't know about lofting. What's a 'deducted
              > body plan'?
              >> David Clemmer has created an excellent photo essay of the building of
              >> Vintage:
              >>
              >> http://tinyurl.com/6y8hee

              It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty
              gods or no God. <Thomas Jefferson>
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2008
                I'm looking forward to seeing Dave's Vintage at Port Townsend! Is it going
                to be on display, or are you just going to visit, Dave? We won't be having
                an Atkin booth at the festival, but I'll have my little, non-Atkin, camp
                cruiser on display down on the dock. All of you are invited to stop by and
                say, "hi."

                http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj

                On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:33:09 -0700, Dave C wrote:

                > Thanks John! We plan to have her in the water for rowing within a
                > week, hopefully making the tail end of the Lake Union Wooden Boat
                > Festival. We should have the hand sewn Egyptian Cotton sprits'l ready
                > sometime in August, so she'll be in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat
                > Festival with the full rig.

                If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
                guise of fighting a foreign enemy. <James Madison>
              • javadave2
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                  The body plan in the design plans for Vintage (as with most design
                  plans) are drawn to the outside of the planking. On the loft,
                  the 'deducted body plan' are the additional lines drawn to the inside
                  of the planking. The moulds are patterned from these lines. Are
                  there other terms for 'deducted body plan'?
                  Dave

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "hotwizard44" <hotwizard44@...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                    That's the plan, to have the boat on display at Port Townsend! I'll
                    also bring the mylar lofts (and other calculations and stability
                    curves), and some old related books. Hope to see you there!

                    We launched the Vintage yesterday morning and rowed her over for the
                    last day of the Lake Union Wooden Boat Festival. I also asked my gal
                    Marie to marry me on our maiden voyage. She said yes!

                    I'll have new pics posted late tonight.
                    Dave

                    > I'm looking forward to seeing Dave's Vintage at Port Townsend! Is
                    it going
                    > to be on display, or are you just going to visit, Dave? We won't be
                    having
                    > an Atkin booth at the festival, but I'll have my little, non-Atkin,
                    camp
                    > cruiser on display down on the dock. All of you are invited to stop
                    by and
                    > say, "hi."
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/67z4cj
                    >
                    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:33:09 -0700, Dave C wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks John! We plan to have her in the water for rowing within a
                    > > week, hopefully making the tail end of the Lake Union Wooden Boat
                    > > Festival. We should have the hand sewn Egyptian Cotton sprits'l
                    ready
                    > > sometime in August, so she'll be in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat
                    > > Festival with the full rig.
                    >
                    > --
                    > John <jkohnen@...>
                    > If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
                    > guise of fighting a foreign enemy. <James Madison>

                  • Gordon
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                      How much does it matter if you allow for the planking from the layout offset lines? I am building a small 9' 6" Josh Slocum Spray and laying out my frames I really don't care if the extra 1/2" planking or what ever I use makes my boat a little fatter.

                      Gordon

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                        Well good luck on the getting married thing. I would rather have a new boat myself but I been married 40 yrs now and my wife has always let me get a new boat when I wanted one. Hope your Marie is the same way.

                        Gordon

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                          Well, it may not matter too much if you added an inch of beam, but
                          you could run into a number of other issues without doing the
                          deducted body plan. For example, if you built your moulds off of the
                          outside of the planking on the body plan, that would change your stem
                          and keel in profile, and the corresponding rabbet and bearding
                          lines. I don't know how much this would affect the Spray design. It
                          probably would be much easier to pattern the moulds off of the inside
                          of the planking than trying to make a bunch of adjustments to the
                          keel and stem, veering from the design. Or, if you've already built
                          your moulds, you could draw the inner plank lines on them and recut
                          to those lines.

                          Good luck, hope this helps!
                          Dave

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                            Not building a mold and all I have are lines in 1" = 1 ft scale that I am coming up with the lofting numbers from. Building it the old way plank on frame multi chine. I could lay the frames out deducting for the plank thickness but my question was does it make a difference? To me it does not.

                            This is a one of a kind boat anyway and if you think real hard you can say it is a Mini Spray and I got the lines from Bruce Roberts Gratus, lines only and nothing else. Building to George Buehlers methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                            Thanks for your comments

                            Gordon

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 7, 2008
                              Sounds like an interesting project on the famous boat, I'll keep an
                              eye at the site, good luck!

                              methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                              > Thanks for your comments
                              >
                              > Gordon

                            • gordocutter_1
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                                What a tremendous challenge you're going into! I saw the page! I was
                                always interested in the history of Slocum, and also about his boat,
                                after all lots of people like the Joshua lines, but I read something
                                disturbing about her, its seems that in strong conditions of weather
                                a boat of her lines and dimensions became unstable and can capsize
                                and not get right side up again, that was one of the explanation
                                about the disappear of Slocum in his last journey. This was a study
                                made by an naval arquitet I read in a article in the web, don't know
                                if it's true.

                                methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                                  Always somebody like you around.
                                  Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
                                  has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
                                  But it also has positive flotation and will not sink

                                  smile

                                  So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?

                                  I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time on forums
                                  telling other people their boat is going to sink

                                  Gordon

                                  methods. You can see the project at www.aroundinten.org

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                                    You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
                                    telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
                                    don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
                                    an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
                                    trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
                                    yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
                                    my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
                                    you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
                                    kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

                                    Adaucto Mello

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 10, 2008
                                      Arrogant

                                      I don't know, probably am.
                                      I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker, Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
                                      (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
                                      Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

                                      You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through it's first storm right now.

                                      Gordon Brimhall

                                      You understand everything wrong buddy! I'm not criticizing you, or
                                      telling that your beautiful little boat will sink or capsize. You
                                      don't need to be sentimental, or rude. All I did was a comment about
                                      an article that I read about the boat of Slocum. In fact I was
                                      trying to demonstrate my respect for such a great challenge like
                                      yours. I'll not get into an discursion about what I do or not with
                                      my life, but I do have some years of sea and one thing I can tell
                                      you, you should keep that arrogance a little lower cause THAT can
                                      kill you or sink any boat. God luck with your project.

                                      Adaucto Mello

                                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

                                      > Always somebody like you around.
                                      > Got to remember mine is only 9 ft long so it
                                      > has 1/4th the same chances to capsize
                                      > But it also has positive flotation and will not sink
                                      >
                                      > smile
                                      >
                                      > So tell me what have you done in your life challanging?
                                      >
                                      > I know it would be safer to just sit and watch TV or spend my time
                                      on forums
                                      > telling other people their boat is going to sink
                                      >
                                      > Gordon

                                    • Mike Dolph
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                        I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                                        really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
                                        He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
                                        of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                                        more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

                                        Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                                        sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                                        useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                                        laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

                                        I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                                        whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
                                        trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                                        He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

                                        Mike Dolph

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                          That is OK
                                          I am here for the next build of either a Geroge Buehlers heavy 29 to 33 ft or a Atkins design same thing for when I try for the Oldest ATW record if I even live to be 81 yrs old. But that gives me 14 years in planning and building. Some will say that is a pipe dream but my who life has been one Dream after another. I have worked hard all my life making my dreams come true like many others I think. Even going to college later after I was married with 3 kids and holding down a full time job as a machinist at McDonald Douglas Aircraft and only getting a few hrs sleep was not easy but it had to be done or my future would have not been as good as it has.

                                          If I had room I would quote some of tristan Jones writings about having dreams, I saved all his books for last and they are good. "Ice" especially. I have read probably every cruising book available over the past 25 yrs, many before I ever bought my first sailboat. My insperation was Tania Aebi and now I share emails with her 20 yrs after she sailed around the world as a young 18 yrs old.

                                          Gordon

                                          Always a Dream

                                          I would discount arrogance as a cause of friction here Gordon; it
                                          really has a significantly different meaning and measure for Gordo.
                                          He's a Brazilian who's native language is Portuguese. There is plenty
                                          of arrogance here and there but there it's meaning makes his advice
                                          more like a fatherly admonition than a cutdown.

                                          Gordo is in the planning stages of building a traditional Atkin's
                                          sloop; like translating white oak into a locally obtainable wood
                                          useful for steam bending or to balance that strip planking over
                                          laminated frames in locally obtainable woods.

                                          I give him extra credit for reaching over thousands of miles and a
                                          whole culture to glean what he needs from forums like this. He's just
                                          trying to be friendly and learn, he's not trying to make trouble.
                                          He's also here for on topic reasons since his project is an Atkins design.

                                          Mike Dolph

                                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon" <gordon@...> wrote:

                                          > Arrogant
                                          >
                                          > I don't know, probably am.
                                          > I was called a Prima Donna way back when I was Model Maker,
                                          Designer, and shop supervisor for Riggen MFG
                                          > (Slot Cars). That was 30 yrs before they put me in the Slot Car Hall
                                          Of fame http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/
                                          > Less than 100 people made it. Have been sailing for over 23 yrs and
                                          owned 4 sailboats but learn each time I go out, Just like my Golf game.

                                          > You have a nice day. It is raining cats and dogs now, Moonson
                                          Weather and my building table and Spray backbone are going through
                                          it's first storm right now.

                                          > Gordon Brimhall

                                        • Alan Boman
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 11, 2008
                                            Remember:-

                                            You are not old until your dreams are replaced by regrets....

                                            Alan

                                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,

                                            Of fame http://www.slotcars <http://www.slotcars.org/hallofame/>

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 13, 2008
                                              Hello Mike!How are you? Thank you for the kindly words, its seems
                                              that you reach what I was trying to say, I don't know why I was
                                              misinterpreted by Gordon but I'll sure be more careful for now on
                                              if I make any comment on the group.

                                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008
                                                Hope to see you at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat festival! We just
                                                got the sail fitted yesterday and should have the Magic Wing there
                                                Friday morning:

                                                http://www.woodenboat.org/boats/Boat_Detail.aspx?processID=561

                                                Pictures will be posted to the site next week.

                                                Dave