Re: beginner question

  • gordocutter_1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
      Well Ben, with those new info that you gave me, that sound like a
      plywood construction, right?
      The process that I told you was for traditional lapstrake
      construction, if what we talking about here is plywood construction
      that changes the aspect. In plywood construction you don't need the
      same amount of frames as for the traditional building, usually it
      only need the sections to be constructed and I've seen some small
      plywood projects that doesn't have keel. With this in mind, that
      book I indicated you is for traditional construction not plywood,
      for plywood construction you should see others books like
      the "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" (forgot the name of the
      author). The type of construction changes the type of building
      method, you have to see in the plans witch one is the type of
      construction in order to specified the type of building method you
      will use.

      Cheers
      Adaucto Mello

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "bentcallaway" <bentcallaway@...>

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
        You're off to a good start, lofting first, as God and the Atkins intended.
        <g> I don't have a copy of the Willy Winship drawings so I can't check,
        but the offset table should tell you whether the lines were drawn to the
        outside or inside of the planking. If there's nothing about that on the
        offset table or lines drawing assume that the lines are to the _outside_
        of the planking. That means that after you've lofted the boat you'll have
        to subtract the planking thickness on the body plan before making your
        molds. Don't worry about angles and trigonometry and what-not, just draw a
        line spaced the thickness of the planking inside the lofted line on the
        body plan. This isn't rocket science. <g> Use these new lines to make your
        molds, one for each station.

        Willy Winship only has side frames, and they're installed after the sides
        are planked, they won't look anything like the molds. If you install the
        frames before the bottom is planked it's easier to clamp them in place,
        but you'll have to sit under the boat to fit them. If you wait until the
        bottom is planked and the boat is turned over you won't be able to clamp
        the frames at their bottoms, but your working position may be more
        comfortable... Install the frames perpendicular to the side planking, no
        matter what the plans show.

        Pete Culler recommended a trick for planking lapstrake sided skiffs --
        instead of beveling the top of the lower plank and having the upper one
        "lean in" to the mold, put a pad of scrap planking stock on the mold so
        the upper plank lies parallel with the mold, and the lower plank. That
        saves beveling the lower plank and gives the boat a tiny bit more flare,
        which is only very rarely a bad thing.

        Good luck with your project! Willy Winship is a nice little boat. be sure
        to take lots of pictures and keep us up to date on your progress.

        On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:11:22 -0700, Ben wrote:

        > This is just general boat building questions. Im building the Willy
        > Winship design as my first boat and I was wondering if someone could
        > just help me with my first steps in its building process. I'm trying to
        > build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
        > probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and probably
        > wont get here for another week and I want to get started.
        >
        > Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting on
        > that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the lines
        > as my first step since the body plans show five different stations? And
        > then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will look
        > exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have all the
        > frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then assemble
        > those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?

        Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you
        a bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
      • gordocutter_1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
          So it is a skiff! That's explain the lack of keel, I thought it was
          a lapstrake with a round bottom. Sorry about that, I misinterpret
          what you're said Ben!