Re: beginner question

  • bentcallaway
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
      Thanks Adaucto, in the past three weeks I think i've taught myself a
      good deal of the martime jargon and most of the shipbuilding
      terminolgy. turns out that there's alot. anyways, the plans call for
      two sister keelsons to lay atop the cross planked bottom
      (athwartship) of the flat bottom hull. no keel if i am understanding
      the plans correctly. I will take into consideration the addition of
      extra frames while i read some more on the whole traditional
      lapstrake method. thanks a lot and I'll see if I can add Greg's book
      to my wish list.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1"
      <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:

> [...]
      way
      > that is the first part that you will have to make, all of the rest
      > will be mounted over it.
      > The plans must be lofted full size just like you see in the papers,
      > the number of frames that you have to make is not the same of the
      > number of stations, usually is more and if you are going to build
      > lapstrake is a lot more than just five (you must have in the
      plans),
      > but in the lapstrake you will have to first do the molds the keel,
      > the stem and the transom.Than you start to mount the molds upside
      > down in a building rig, put the keel with the stem already join
      over
      > the molds and the transom in the rear, tight all the molds with the
      > ribands and than you start to put the planks on. When the planked
      is
      > finished you turn right side up taking of the molds and than start
      > to put the ribs on. This is a very simplistic way of telling you
      how
      > is made but my advise to you is that you wait until you get those
      > books you told. I bought the Greg Rosell's book, "Building Small
      > Boats" it's a great book and should do the job for you. That way
      you
      > don't loose material and time doing things wrong and than having to
      > fix it latter. There are some particularities that you have to know
      > before get starting for the first time.
      >
      > Hope I've helped!
      > Adaucto Mello
      >
      > For the other fellows of the group fell free telling me if I said
      > something wrong!
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "bentcallaway" <bentcallaway@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > This is just general boat building questions. Im building the
      > Willy
      > > Winship design as my first boat and I was wondering if someone
      > could
      > > just help me with my first steps in its building process. I'm
      > trying to
      > > build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
      > > probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and
      > probably
      > > wont get here for another week and I want to get started.
      > >
      > > Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting
      > on
      > > that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the
      > lines
      > > as my first step since the body plans show five different
      > stations? And
      > > then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will
      look
      > > exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have
      > all the
      > > frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then
      > assemble
      > > those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?

    • gordocutter_1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
        Well Ben, with those new info that you gave me, that sound like a
        plywood construction, right?
        The process that I told you was for traditional lapstrake
        construction, if what we talking about here is plywood construction
        that changes the aspect. In plywood construction you don't need the
        same amount of frames as for the traditional building, usually it
        only need the sections to be constructed and I've seen some small
        plywood projects that doesn't have keel. With this in mind, that
        book I indicated you is for traditional construction not plywood,
        for plywood construction you should see others books like
        the "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" (forgot the name of the
        author). The type of construction changes the type of building
        method, you have to see in the plans witch one is the type of
        construction in order to specified the type of building method you
        will use.

        Cheers
        Adaucto Mello

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
          You're off to a good start, lofting first, as God and the Atkins intended.
          <g> I don't have a copy of the Willy Winship drawings so I can't check,
          but the offset table should tell you whether the lines were drawn to the
          outside or inside of the planking. If there's nothing about that on the
          offset table or lines drawing assume that the lines are to the _outside_
          of the planking. That means that after you've lofted the boat you'll have
          to subtract the planking thickness on the body plan before making your
          molds. Don't worry about angles and trigonometry and what-not, just draw a
          line spaced the thickness of the planking inside the lofted line on the
          body plan. This isn't rocket science. <g> Use these new lines to make your
          molds, one for each station.

          Willy Winship only has side frames, and they're installed after the sides
          are planked, they won't look anything like the molds. If you install the
          frames before the bottom is planked it's easier to clamp them in place,
          but you'll have to sit under the boat to fit them. If you wait until the
          bottom is planked and the boat is turned over you won't be able to clamp
          the frames at their bottoms, but your working position may be more
          comfortable... Install the frames perpendicular to the side planking, no
          matter what the plans show.

          Pete Culler recommended a trick for planking lapstrake sided skiffs --
          instead of beveling the top of the lower plank and having the upper one
          "lean in" to the mold, put a pad of scrap planking stock on the mold so
          the upper plank lies parallel with the mold, and the lower plank. That
          saves beveling the lower plank and gives the boat a tiny bit more flare,
          which is only very rarely a bad thing.

          Good luck with your project! Willy Winship is a nice little boat. be sure
          to take lots of pictures and keep us up to date on your progress.

          On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:11:22 -0700, Ben wrote:

          > This is just general boat building questions. Im building the Willy
          > Winship design as my first boat and I was wondering if someone could
          > just help me with my first steps in its building process. I'm trying to
          > build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
          > probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and probably
          > wont get here for another week and I want to get started.
          >
          > Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting on
          > that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the lines
          > as my first step since the body plans show five different stations? And
          > then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will look
          > exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have all the
          > frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then assemble
          > those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?

          Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you
          a bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
        • gordocutter_1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
            So it is a skiff! That's explain the lack of keel, I thought it was
            a lapstrake with a round bottom. Sorry about that, I misinterpret
            what you're said Ben!