beginner question

  • bentcallaway
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2008
      This is just general boat building questions. Im building the Willy
      Winship design as my first boat and I was wondering if someone could
      just help me with my first steps in its building process. I'm trying to
      build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
      probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and probably
      wont get here for another week and I want to get started.

      Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting on
      that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the lines
      as my first step since the body plans show five different stations? And
      then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will look
      exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have all the
      frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then assemble
      those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?

      Ben
      Dalton Ga
    • gordocutter_1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
        Hello there Ben ! I'll try to help you with some tips and the rest
        of you guys may help me along!
        First you have to know the basics parts of a hull, it helps if you
        think that a hull is like the human body so you have the keel is
        like the spine the ribs or frames are like, well the ribs of the
        body, you have the stem (front) and the transom(the but, hehehe).
        The keel is the part that supports all of this so is a very
        important part of the hull. If you are building in a traditional way
        that is the first part that you will have to make, all of the rest
        will be mounted over it.
        The plans must be lofted full size just like you see in the papers,
        the number of frames that you have to make is not the same of the
        number of stations, usually is more and if you are going to build
        lapstrake is a lot more than just five (you must have in the plans),
        but in the lapstrake you will have to first do the molds the keel,
        the stem and the transom.Than you start to mount the molds upside
        down in a building rig, put the keel with the stem already join over
        the molds and the transom in the rear, tight all the molds with the
        ribands and than you start to put the planks on. When the planked is
        finished you turn right side up taking of the molds and than start
        to put the ribs on. This is a very simplistic way of telling you how
        is made but my advise to you is that you wait until you get those
        books you told. I bought the Greg Rosell's book, "Building Small
        Boats" it's a great book and should do the job for you. That way you
        don't loose material and time doing things wrong and than having to
        fix it latter. There are some particularities that you have to know
        before get starting for the first time.

        Hope I've helped!
        Adaucto Mello

        For the other fellows of the group fell free telling me if I said
        something wrong!

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "bentcallaway" <bentcallaway@...>
        wrote:

        > This is just general boat building questions. Im building the
        Willy
        > Winship design as my first boat and I was wondering if someone
        could
        > just help me with my first steps in its building process. I'm
        trying to
        > build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
        > probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and
        probably
        > wont get here for another week and I want to get started.
        >
        > Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting
        on
        > that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the
        lines
        > as my first step since the body plans show five different
        stations? And
        > then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will look
        > exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have
        all the
        > frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then
        assemble
        > those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?
        >

        > Ben
        > Dalton Ga

      • bentcallaway
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
          Thanks Adaucto, in the past three weeks I think i've taught myself a
          good deal of the martime jargon and most of the shipbuilding
          terminolgy. turns out that there's alot. anyways, the plans call for
          two sister keelsons to lay atop the cross planked bottom
          (athwartship) of the flat bottom hull. no keel if i am understanding
          the plans correctly. I will take into consideration the addition of
          extra frames while i read some more on the whole traditional
          lapstrake method. thanks a lot and I'll see if I can add Greg's book
          to my wish list.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1"
          <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
          > > probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and
          > probably
          > > wont get here for another week and I want to get started.
          > >
          > > Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting
          > on
          > > that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the
          > lines
          > > as my first step since the body plans show five different
          > stations? And
          > > then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will
          look
          > > exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have
          > all the
          > > frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then
          > assemble
          > > those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?

        • gordocutter_1
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
            Well Ben, with those new info that you gave me, that sound like a
            plywood construction, right?
            The process that I told you was for traditional lapstrake
            construction, if what we talking about here is plywood construction
            that changes the aspect. In plywood construction you don't need the
            same amount of frames as for the traditional building, usually it
            only need the sections to be constructed and I've seen some small
            plywood projects that doesn't have keel. With this in mind, that
            book I indicated you is for traditional construction not plywood,
            for plywood construction you should see others books like
            the "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" (forgot the name of the
            author). The type of construction changes the type of building
            method, you have to see in the plans witch one is the type of
            construction in order to specified the type of building method you
            will use.

            Cheers
            Adaucto Mello

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
              You're off to a good start, lofting first, as God and the Atkins intended.
              <g> I don't have a copy of the Willy Winship drawings so I can't check,
              but the offset table should tell you whether the lines were drawn to the
              outside or inside of the planking. If there's nothing about that on the
              offset table or lines drawing assume that the lines are to the _outside_
              of the planking. That means that after you've lofted the boat you'll have
              to subtract the planking thickness on the body plan before making your
              molds. Don't worry about angles and trigonometry and what-not, just draw a
              line spaced the thickness of the planking inside the lofted line on the
              body plan. This isn't rocket science. <g> Use these new lines to make your
              molds, one for each station.

              Willy Winship only has side frames, and they're installed after the sides
              are planked, they won't look anything like the molds. If you install the
              frames before the bottom is planked it's easier to clamp them in place,
              but you'll have to sit under the boat to fit them. If you wait until the
              bottom is planked and the boat is turned over you won't be able to clamp
              the frames at their bottoms, but your working position may be more
              comfortable... Install the frames perpendicular to the side planking, no
              matter what the plans show.

              Pete Culler recommended a trick for planking lapstrake sided skiffs --
              instead of beveling the top of the lower plank and having the upper one
              "lean in" to the mold, put a pad of scrap planking stock on the mold so
              the upper plank lies parallel with the mold, and the lower plank. That
              saves beveling the lower plank and gives the boat a tiny bit more flare,
              which is only very rarely a bad thing.

              Good luck with your project! Willy Winship is a nice little boat. be sure
              to take lots of pictures and keep us up to date on your progress.

              On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 07:11:22 -0700, Ben wrote:

              > This is just general boat building questions. Im building the Willy
              > Winship design as my first boat and I was wondering if someone could
              > just help me with my first steps in its building process. I'm trying to
              > build using the lapstrake method to get some practice. I should
              > probably read some books I know but they are in the mail and probably
              > wont get here for another week and I want to get started.
              >
              > Right now I have some sheathing paper on the floor and am lofting on
              > that. So I guess my first question is: do I make 5 molds from the lines
              > as my first step since the body plans show five different stations? And
              > then from these 5 molds I am making five 5 frames (Which will look
              > exactly similar but are made with decent wood)? And once I have all the
              > frames and the transom and the strakes shaped up good I then assemble
              > those pieces and finish the hull with the bottom planks last?

              Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you
              a bully and a bore. <Robert Morley>
            • gordocutter_1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
                So it is a skiff! That's explain the lack of keel, I thought it was
                a lapstrake with a round bottom. Sorry about that, I misinterpret
                what you're said Ben!