Re: Howdy

  • Joe & Jean Majewski
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 8:13 AM
      Hi Steve,

      That is a beautiful, beautiful boat that you have built. You did a
      wonderful job on it!

      Can you tell us where and how you use it?

      Also, can you talk about how you did the outboard motor well? I think
      that a lot of Atkin's designs would be built if a builder could use an
      outboard in a well instead of an inboard motor.

      Thanks for sharing!
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3 10:11 PM
        Hi Joe and Jean,

        Thanks for your comments.

        The bad news is that I have lost track of the boat since selling her
        (to work overseas and then start a new project) a couple of years ago.
        Last heard of in the Malborough Sounds region....

        When I bought the plans,I wasn't sure what I wanted so I also bought a
        set of " Ninigret " plans, and that was where I got the idea for the well.

        I agree that the inboard option is a wee bit impractical. I'm sure
        William would have designed this boat for outboards if they had been
        available in 1933. On such a narrow boat, the midships engine box
        kills interior space. Plus there are the noise and heat factors /
        running an exhaust / petrol lines inside the accommodation / carbon
        monoxide etc.

        I toyed with the idea of a sterndrive, and I still believe this would
        be a very practical alternative. The two downsides were the
        unavailability of anything under about 140hp, and the big ugly leg
        which would be difficult to conceal. I seriously considered jet power
        as well.Both these latter options would allow you to have a large
        spacious seat/lounge at the aft end of the cockpit.

        I will post the best pics I have of the well.

        Cheers

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Joe & Jean Majewski" <joe.maj@...>