Re: Howdy

  • Joe & Jean Majewski
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi Steve,

      That is a beautiful, beautiful boat that you have built. You did a
      wonderful job on it!

      Can you tell us where and how you use it?

      Also, can you talk about how you did the outboard motor well? I think
      that a lot of Atkin's designs would be built if a builder could use an
      outboard in a well instead of an inboard motor.

      Thanks for sharing!
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
        Thanks Neil. Can't say I ever took much notice of exact fuel
        consumption....One thing to note, I believe this boat would have gone
        almost just as well with 70hp, and 50hp would have been adequate

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "nsimms" <nsimms@...> wrote:

        > Looks great, Steve!
        >
        > What kind of mpg are you seeing with this motor and config?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Neil S.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi Joe and Jean,

          Thanks for your comments.

          The bad news is that I have lost track of the boat since selling her
          (to work overseas and then start a new project) a couple of years ago.
          Last heard of in the Malborough Sounds region....

          When I bought the plans,I wasn't sure what I wanted so I also bought a
          set of " Ninigret " plans, and that was where I got the idea for the well.

          I agree that the inboard option is a wee bit impractical. I'm sure
          William would have designed this boat for outboards if they had been
          available in 1933. On such a narrow boat, the midships engine box
          kills interior space. Plus there are the noise and heat factors /
          running an exhaust / petrol lines inside the accommodation / carbon
          monoxide etc.

          I toyed with the idea of a sterndrive, and I still believe this would
          be a very practical alternative. The two downsides were the
          unavailability of anything under about 140hp, and the big ugly leg
          which would be difficult to conceal. I seriously considered jet power
          as well.Both these latter options would allow you to have a large
          spacious seat/lounge at the aft end of the cockpit.

          I will post the best pics I have of the well.

          Cheers

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Joe & Jean Majewski" <joe.maj@...>