Re: Howdy

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
      Sure, have posted a few - more to come.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walther <michawalth3@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Steve, You ask a silly question: Want more details / pics?
      Answer: Of course, yes, any and all you want to put up, would love to
      see them.
      > Thanks, Mike

    • Michael Walther
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Steve, Look'n good:) Thanks for the pix, they're always encouraging to people scared half to death to try to build anything.
        Thanks again, Mike

        > > Hi Steve, You ask a silly question: Want more
        > details / pics?
        > Answer: Of course, yes, any and all you want to put up,
        > would love to
        > see them.
        > > Thanks, Mike
        > >
        > > --- On Mon, 6/2/08, Steve <classiccraft@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > > From: Steve <classiccraft@...>
        > > > Subject: [AtkinBoats] Howdy
        > > > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
        > > > Date: Monday, June 2, 2008, 8:52 AM
        > > > Hi.
        > > >
        > > > Just found this group, and thought you may be
        > interested in
        > > > what I built.
        > > >
        > > > I bought a set of "Hope" plans a while
        > back, and
        > > > built one.....with
        > > > some changes.
        > > >
        > > > She ended up at 30ft 8" OA, and a little
        > higher in the
        > > > topsides ( I
        > > > think about 4 1/2").There was no change to
        > the beam.
        > > >
        > > > The bottom was 1/2" sheet ply, and the
        > topsides were 2
        > > > layers of 3/16"
        > > > ply ( double diagonal).
        > > >
        > > > Then I put the fuel tanks fwd under the floor,
        > and hid a
        > > > 90hp ETEC
        > > > Evinrude in a well .
        > > >
        > > > Oh, yes, did a bit of a redesign on the cabin -
        > slightly
        > > > more modern.
        > > >
        > > > Anyway, all good, nice boat that cruises at
        > 18knots - flat
        > > > out about
        > > > 22. Handles and rides very well etc.
        > > >
        > > > Want more details / pics?
        > > >

        > > > ------------------------------------
        > > >
        > > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
        > mopery.
        > > > Please be polite.
        > > >
        > > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do
        > not modify
        > > > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so
        > at your own
        > > > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
        > responsibility for the
        > > > performance of the resulting boat.
        > > >
        > > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        >
        > > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        > > >
        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > > >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
        > Please be polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
        > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
        > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
        > performance of the resulting boat.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joe & Jean Majewski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi Steve,

          That is a beautiful, beautiful boat that you have built. You did a
          wonderful job on it!

          Can you tell us where and how you use it?

          Also, can you talk about how you did the outboard motor well? I think
          that a lot of Atkin's designs would be built if a builder could use an
          outboard in a well instead of an inboard motor.

          Thanks for sharing!
        • nsimms
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
            Looks great, Steve!

            What kind of mpg are you seeing with this motor and config?

            Thanks,

            Neil S.
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Thanks Neil. Can't say I ever took much notice of exact fuel
              consumption....One thing to note, I believe this boat would have gone
              almost just as well with 70hp, and 50hp would have been adequate

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "nsimms" <nsimms@...> wrote:

              > Looks great, Steve!
              >
              > What kind of mpg are you seeing with this motor and config?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Neil S.

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                Hi Joe and Jean,

                Thanks for your comments.

                The bad news is that I have lost track of the boat since selling her
                (to work overseas and then start a new project) a couple of years ago.
                Last heard of in the Malborough Sounds region....

                When I bought the plans,I wasn't sure what I wanted so I also bought a
                set of " Ninigret " plans, and that was where I got the idea for the well.

                I agree that the inboard option is a wee bit impractical. I'm sure
                William would have designed this boat for outboards if they had been
                available in 1933. On such a narrow boat, the midships engine box
                kills interior space. Plus there are the noise and heat factors /
                running an exhaust / petrol lines inside the accommodation / carbon
                monoxide etc.

                I toyed with the idea of a sterndrive, and I still believe this would
                be a very practical alternative. The two downsides were the
                unavailability of anything under about 140hp, and the big ugly leg
                which would be difficult to conceal. I seriously considered jet power
                as well.Both these latter options would allow you to have a large
                spacious seat/lounge at the aft end of the cockpit.

                I will post the best pics I have of the well.

                Cheers

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Joe & Jean Majewski" <joe.maj@...>