Howdy

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hi.

      Just found this group, and thought you may be interested in what I built.

      I bought a set of "Hope" plans a while back, and built one.....with
      some changes.

      She ended up at 30ft 8" OA, and a little higher in the topsides ( I
      think about 4 1/2").There was no change to the beam.

      The bottom was 1/2" sheet ply, and the topsides were 2 layers of 3/16"
      ply ( double diagonal).

      Then I put the fuel tanks fwd under the floor, and hid a 90hp ETEC
      Evinrude in a well .

      Oh, yes, did a bit of a redesign on the cabin - slightly more modern.

      Anyway, all good, nice boat that cruises at 18knots - flat out about
      22. Handles and rides very well etc.

      Want more details / pics?
    • Michael Walther
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Steve, You ask a silly question: Want more details / pics? Answer: Of course, yes, any and all you want to put up, would love to see them.
        Thanks, Mike

        > Just found this group, and thought you may be interested in
        > what I built.
        >
        > I bought a set of "Hope" plans a while back, and
        > built one.....with
        > some changes.
        >
        > She ended up at 30ft 8" OA, and a little higher in the
        > topsides ( I
        > think about 4 1/2").There was no change to the beam.
        >
        > The bottom was 1/2" sheet ply, and the topsides were 2
        > layers of 3/16"
        > ply ( double diagonal).
        >
        > Then I put the fuel tanks fwd under the floor, and hid a
        > 90hp ETEC
        > Evinrude in a well .
        >
        > Oh, yes, did a bit of a redesign on the cabin - slightly
        > more modern.
        >
        > Anyway, all good, nice boat that cruises at 18knots - flat
        > out about
        > 22. Handles and rides very well etc.
        >
        > Want more details / pics?
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
        > Please be polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
        > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
        > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
        > performance of the resulting boat.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
          Sure, have posted a few - more to come.

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walther <michawalth3@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Steve, You ask a silly question: Want more details / pics?
          Answer: Of course, yes, any and all you want to put up, would love to
          see them.
          > Thanks, Mike

        • Michael Walther
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi Steve, Look'n good:) Thanks for the pix, they're always encouraging to people scared half to death to try to build anything.
            Thanks again, Mike

            > > Hi Steve, You ask a silly question: Want more
            > details / pics?
            > Answer: Of course, yes, any and all you want to put up,
            > would love to
            > see them.
            > > Thanks, Mike
            > >
            > > --- On Mon, 6/2/08, Steve <classiccraft@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > > From: Steve <classiccraft@...>
            > > > Subject: [AtkinBoats] Howdy
            > > > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
            > > > Date: Monday, June 2, 2008, 8:52 AM
            > > > Hi.
            > > >
            > > > Just found this group, and thought you may be
            > interested in
            > > > what I built.
            > > >
            > > > I bought a set of "Hope" plans a while
            > back, and
            > > > built one.....with
            > > > some changes.
            > > >
            > > > She ended up at 30ft 8" OA, and a little
            > higher in the
            > > > topsides ( I
            > > > think about 4 1/2").There was no change to
            > the beam.
            > > >
            > > > The bottom was 1/2" sheet ply, and the
            > topsides were 2
            > > > layers of 3/16"
            > > > ply ( double diagonal).
            > > >
            > > > Then I put the fuel tanks fwd under the floor,
            > and hid a
            > > > 90hp ETEC
            > > > Evinrude in a well .
            > > >
            > > > Oh, yes, did a bit of a redesign on the cabin -
            > slightly
            > > > more modern.
            > > >
            > > > Anyway, all good, nice boat that cruises at
            > 18knots - flat
            > > > out about
            > > > 22. Handles and rides very well etc.
            > > >
            > > > Want more details / pics?
            > > >

            > > > ------------------------------------
            > > >
            > > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
            > mopery.
            > > > Please be polite.
            > > >
            > > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do
            > not modify
            > > > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so
            > at your own
            > > > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
            > responsibility for the
            > > > performance of the resulting boat.
            > > >
            > > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
            >
            > > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            > > >
            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery.
            > Please be polite.
            >
            > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify
            > the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own
            > risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the
            > performance of the resulting boat.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Joe & Jean Majewski
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Hi Steve,

              That is a beautiful, beautiful boat that you have built. You did a
              wonderful job on it!

              Can you tell us where and how you use it?

              Also, can you talk about how you did the outboard motor well? I think
              that a lot of Atkin's designs would be built if a builder could use an
              outboard in a well instead of an inboard motor.

              Thanks for sharing!
            • nsimms
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                Looks great, Steve!

                What kind of mpg are you seeing with this motor and config?

                Thanks,

                Neil S.
              • Steve
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Thanks Neil. Can't say I ever took much notice of exact fuel
                  consumption....One thing to note, I believe this boat would have gone
                  almost just as well with 70hp, and 50hp would have been adequate

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "nsimms" <nsimms@...> wrote:

                  > Looks great, Steve!
                  >
                  > What kind of mpg are you seeing with this motor and config?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Neil S.

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Hi Joe and Jean,

                    Thanks for your comments.

                    The bad news is that I have lost track of the boat since selling her
                    (to work overseas and then start a new project) a couple of years ago.
                    Last heard of in the Malborough Sounds region....

                    When I bought the plans,I wasn't sure what I wanted so I also bought a
                    set of " Ninigret " plans, and that was where I got the idea for the well.

                    I agree that the inboard option is a wee bit impractical. I'm sure
                    William would have designed this boat for outboards if they had been
                    available in 1933. On such a narrow boat, the midships engine box
                    kills interior space. Plus there are the noise and heat factors /
                    running an exhaust / petrol lines inside the accommodation / carbon
                    monoxide etc.

                    I toyed with the idea of a sterndrive, and I still believe this would
                    be a very practical alternative. The two downsides were the
                    unavailability of anything under about 140hp, and the big ugly leg
                    which would be difficult to conceal. I seriously considered jet power
                    as well.Both these latter options would allow you to have a large
                    spacious seat/lounge at the aft end of the cockpit.

                    I will post the best pics I have of the well.

                    Cheers

                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Joe & Jean Majewski" <joe.maj@...>