Re: Testing Billy Atkin's "Shoals Runner"

  • windmill4048
    Message 1 of 18 , May 31, 2008
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
      <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ron,
      >
      > Thanks for understanding my efforts. I should have thanked
      > you before since you were the only person to post something
      > positive, but I was too busy trying to explain things a
      > second or third time to others -- probably a huge waste of
      > time anyways.
      >
      > Oh well, live and learn ... :)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Ken Grome
      > Bagacay Boatworks
      > www.bagacayboatworks.com
      >

      > > Ken, congratulations on your efforts to insert some facts
      > > into the discussion.
      > >
      > > I have noticed quite a few individuals being twits and
      > > making negative comments regarding your proposed quest,
      > > but these same individuals are (mostly) quite stingy with
      > > any facts backing up their various claims.
      > >
      > > To all: The renewed popularity of Rescue Minor and it's
      > > efficiency statements have raised the question regarding
      > > it's hull design and efficiency. Ken has proposed a test
      > > to put facts on the table regarding this, and is putting
      > > his money (and time and effort) where his mouth is. If
      > > you want to make negative comments about his test, what
      > > are you doing to replace it?
      > >
      > > Boating is often an emotional endeavor, and what you as
      > > an individual "like" can be quite important. Many
      > > would-be boaters, however, are limited in funds; it takes
      > > real money to buy wood, steel, gas, and sailcloth, and it
      > > would be nice to have a good idea what you are getting
      > > before you pay the price.
      > >

      > > --
      > > Regards,
      > > RonB

      Well, let me add a little hard data to this discussion.

      I've operated a Rescue Minor since last August, many hours of
      operation.

      At 10 kts, 2,300 RPM the fuel consumption is between .5 and .62 GPH.
      I consider that to be sort of efficient and think you'd be hard
      pressed to find a boat that would do much better unless it was
      purpose built just for fuel efficiency.