uncataloged plans

  • michigangeorge1
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2004
      thanks for the site John. Can someone enlighten me as to why ALL the
      Atkin plans are not available? I have vague recollections of many
      boats I would like to consider for my next project but most were of
      later design ie: 1950s - 1970s. I get the feeling Mrs. Atkin prefers
      to sell only the catalog plans and I do not want to impose on her
      time unnecessarily. I recently purchased a Yachting design page thru
      e-bay which shows the 32'Robin- a double ended MED style dayboat. I
      will post it on the site if I can figure out how (technophob).
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2004
        There are several reasons why not all of the 900-plus Atkin plans are
        available today: Almost all the plans in the current catalog come from the
        series of designs created for MoToR BoatinG magazine, and intended for
        amateur construction, most of the other Atkin plans were drawn for
        professional builders, and might be hard for an amateur to decipher. They
        wouldn't have any building instructions, and in some cases I'll bet the
        materials and scantlings lists aren't complete, being left up to the
        builder; When John Atkin put the current catalog together, he culled out
        many of the boats from MoToR BoatinG that he considered too dated, or
        otherwise not suitable for modern builders (I disagree with some of his
        choices!); Mrs. Atkin doesn't have posession of all the plans. Some were
        drawn for boatbuilding companies, or maybe even private parties, who took
        possession of the plans and rights to build from them. Some were lost in the
        hurricane of 1938 that washed out Billy Atkin's home. Some were never
        returned by MoToR BoatinG when John Atkin regained the rights to those
        plans; Finally, some of the plans Mrs. Atkin does possess may be buried too
        deep for her to find, or only an incomplete set of drawings can be found.
        The Atkin plans, writings, and other papers ought to be catalogued and some
        sense made of them, but Mrs. Atkin has a busy life to live, and it would
        cost money to have the work professionally done.

        Mrs. Atkin told me about the Robin review on ebay. When you've figured out
        how to scan the page <g>, save the image as a GIF, NOT A JPEG! You can
        reduce the number of colors to 16 to make a smaller file without losing
        enough quality to matter. Put the file in the files section of the group,
        it's really not difficult. If you have any trouble, email me privately and
        I'll fix you up.

        On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:17:13 -0000, George wrote:
        > thanks for the site John. Can someone enlighten me as to why ALL the
        > Atkin plans are not available? I have vague recollections of many
        > boats I would like to consider for my next project but most were of
        > later design ie: 1950s - 1970s. I get the feeling Mrs. Atkin prefers
        > to sell only the catalog plans and I do not want to impose on her
        > time unnecessarily. I recently purchased a Yachting design page thru
        > e-bay which shows the 32'Robin- a double ended MED style dayboat. I
        > will post it on the site if I can figure out how (technophob).

        The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of
        older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the blood.
        <Logan Pearsall Smith>
      • Rodger Shull
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2004
          Hello Atkin Group
          I think we should just all be greatfull for the plans that we do have here, they are fantastic, my favorite is Bamaling , this would be a perfect boat for me, an a najor under taking, an the Atkins drew up some fine plans for small boats, which is fine for me an i would imagine many others, i myself would love to see all the plans an partial plans all collected an in the Smithstoning under lock an key, an available to the public, ..But i sure do love to look at what there is now , many small boats to keep one buzy building an testing .. just my thoughts,,, ya all have a great day .....R.K.Shull

          jkohnen@... wrote:
          There are several reasons why not all of the 900-plus Atkin plans are
          available today: Almost all the plans in the current catalog come from the
          series of designs created for MoToR BoatinG magazine, and intended for
          amateur construction, most of the other Atkin plans were drawn for
          professional builders, and might be hard for an amateur to decipher. They
          wouldn't have any building instructions, and in some cases I'll bet the
          materials and scantlings lists aren't complete, being left up to the
          builder; When John Atkin put the current catalog together, he culled out
          many of the boats from MoToR BoatinG that he considered too dated, or
          otherwise not suitable for modern builders (I disagree with some of his
          choices!); Mrs. Atkin doesn't have posession of all the plans. Some were
          drawn for boatbuilding companies, or maybe even private parties, who took
          possession of the plans and rights to build from them. Some were lost in the
          hurricane of 1938 that washed out Billy Atkin's home. Some were never
          returned by MoToR BoatinG when John Atkin regained the rights to those
          plans; Finally, some of the plans Mrs. Atkin does possess may be buried too
          deep for her to find, or only an incomplete set of drawings can be found.
          The Atkin plans, writings, and other papers ought to be catalogued and some
          sense made of them, but Mrs. Atkin has a busy life to live, and it would
          cost money to have the work professionally done.

          Mrs. Atkin told me about the Robin review on ebay. When you've figured out
          how to scan the page <g>, save the image as a GIF, NOT A JPEG! You can
          reduce the number of colors to 16 to make a smaller file without losing
          enough quality to matter. Put the file in the files section of the group,
          it's really not difficult. If you have any trouble, email me privately and
          I'll fix you up.

          On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:17:13 -0000, George wrote:
          > thanks for the site John. Can someone enlighten me as to why ALL the
          > Atkin plans are not available? I have vague recollections of many
          > boats I would like to consider for my next project but most were of
          > later design ie: 1950s - 1970s. I get the feeling Mrs. Atkin prefers
          > to sell only the catalog plans and I do not want to impose on her
          > time unnecessarily. I recently purchased a Yachting design page thru
          > e-bay which shows the 32'Robin- a double ended MED style dayboat. I
          > will post it on the site if I can figure out how (technophob).

          The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of
          older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the blood.
          <Logan Pearsall Smith>

          No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Servic

          Rodger K.Shull

          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2004
            When Mrs. Atkin thinks it's no longer fun to handle the boat plans she's
            going to donate them to Mystic Seaport, as per John's instructions in his
            will. Let's hope Mrs. Atkin keeps having fun! When the Atkin plans go to
            Mystic they'll fall into a black hole. They'll be preserved for posterity,
            but it will be very difficult for anyone to get to them without making
            special arrangements for a personal visit. I have a lot of respect for
            Mystic, but their archives seem to be understaffed, and their Web pages are
            some of the worst around. They still haven't finished cataloguing Pete
            Culler's plans, which were donated quite a few years ago, and there's
            nothing of Culler's online! What will happen when they're confronted with
            hundreds of Atkin plans?

            You'll never find this through the Mystic pages, no matter how hard you try,
            so here's a direct link to their plan collections -- until they change the
            URL without telling anybody:

            http://www.mysticseaport.org/library/collections/ships.cfm

            On Sat, 15 May 2004 04:15:48 -0700 (PDT), R.K. wrote:
            > Hello Atkin Group
            > I think we should just all be greatfull for the plans that we do have
            here, they are fantastic, my favorite is Bamaling , this would be a perfect
            boat for me, an a najor under taking, an the Atkins drew up some fine plans
            for small boats, which is fine for me an i would imagine many others, i
            myself would love to see all the plans an partial plans all collected an in
            the Smithstoning under lock an key, an available to the public, ..But i sure
            do love to look at what there is now , many small boats to keep one buzy
            building an testing .. just my thoughts,,, ya all have a great day
            .....R.K.Shull

            I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it
            on, I go to the library and read a good book. <Groucho Marx>
          • lon wells
            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2004
              The Western Oregon Messabout Group is having the
              second annual Quinn's Cove Solstice Messabout in
              Vancouver, Washington on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
              June 18, 19 20. Here is the web site. It is a very
              informal boat gathering.

              http://www.dragonwall.net/summer-solstice-messabout/

              Here is the site for the Messabout group.

              All are invited.
              Lon

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/