Tenders

  • roninpnw
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      I'm writing to see if any of you have comments on Atkin-designed
      dinks and tenders. We live on a beautiful Eric (gaff ketch rig), but
      are sorely in need of a tender, and would most like to build an Atkin
      design that'll be a good match for the mother ship.

      I'm quite drawn to the 7ft 'Precious' flat-bottom, especially due to
      it's versatily (row, power, sail); it's a touch smaller than the very
      similar 'Cabin Boy' at 7ft6in. and therefore may be more managable
      stowed on the housetop; and it's not a pram... afraid I've never been
      a fan of pram-bowed boats.

      We'd mostly use her for utility and as a ferry boat (for two of us).
      I'm a little concerned with the ease of stowage on deck, but we can
      work out a hoist from the boom, and could tow in fair weather.

      Any suggestions or ideas that this brings up?

      Many thanks in advance!
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2004
        Precious isn't going to be able to carry as much weight as one of the butt-
        headed dinghies of similar length, but she is better looking. Yes, that's
        important sometimes! <g> Unfortunately, the study plans don't give any idea
        of the maximum load Precious could carry safely. I'd use plywood for the
        bottom at least, and maybe glued lapstrake plywood for the sides, so the
        boat wouldn't dry out and get leaky so easily when kept out of the water.

        Tell us more about your Eric! Where in the PNW do you keep it?

        On Tue, 11 May 2004 22:01:01 -0000, Ron wrote:
        > I'm writing to see if any of you have comments on Atkin-designed
        > dinks and tenders. We live on a beautiful Eric (gaff ketch rig), but
        > are sorely in need of a tender, and would most like to build an Atkin
        > design that'll be a good match for the mother ship.
        >
        > I'm quite drawn to the 7ft 'Precious' flat-bottom, especially due to
        > it's versatily (row, power, sail); it's a touch smaller than the very
        > similar 'Cabin Boy' at 7ft6in. and therefore may be more managable
        > stowed on the housetop; and it's not a pram... afraid I've never been
        > a fan of pram-bowed boats.
        >
        > We'd mostly use her for utility and as a ferry boat (for two of us).
        > I'm a little concerned with the ease of stowage on deck, but we can
        > work out a hoist from the boom, and could tow in fair weather.
        >
        > Any suggestions or ideas that this brings up?
        >
        > Many thanks in advance!

        I cannot help thinking that the people with motor boats miss a great deal.
        If they would only keep to rowboats or canoes, and use oar or paddle...
        they would get infinitely more benefit than by having their work done for
        them by gasoline. <Theodore Roosevelt>
      • Robert Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2004
          Sometime in the mid 70's, there was an Atkin cutter advertised in the
          boats for sale section of WoodenBoat Magazine.

          I remember that a photo was included in the small ad. If I remember
          correctly, this was 28', and very beautiful.
          She was lying at the time in Connecticut (maybe Saybrook, or Old Lyme).
          I have been unable to locate my back-issue from then....

          Anyone know anything about this boat?

          Thanks.
          Robert