Testing Billy Atkin's "Shoals Runner"

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 18 , May 27 2:59 AM
      Greetings,

      There are some very intelligent and experienced guys over at
      the boatdesign.net forum ...

      We've been discussing a proposal I made to test and compare
      Shoals Runner against a more common hull with similar
      dimensions -- specifically to see which is more efficient
      at 15 knots using the same inboard propulsion systems. If
      this testing gets off the ground and into the water the
      results may be interesting to some of you.

      I created a new Yahoo group to discuss and report on this
      testing program. I made the message archives visible to
      everyone so you do NOT have to join if you simply want to
      go there and see what we are discussing ... but if you want

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 18 , May 27 7:43 PM
        It must be remembered the tunnel hull boats are
        shallow draft boats, so they would have to be compared
        to another equal shallow draft boat.

        By Atkin's calculation a non tunnel hull Seabright
        Skiff like Happy Clam performs better than a tunnel
        hull Seabright Skiff
        http://tinyurl.com/345atw

        But if the traditional boat runs aground then the
        tunnel hull wins.
        Lon Wells

        --- Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > There are some very intelligent and experienced guys
        > over at
        > the boatdesign.net forum ...
        >
        > We've been discussing a proposal I made to test and
        > compare
        > Shoals Runner against a more common hull with
        > similar
        > dimensions -- specifically to see which is more
        > efficient
        > at 15 knots using the same inboard propulsion
        > systems. If
        > this testing gets off the ground and into the water
        > the
        > results may be interesting to some of you.
        >
        > I created a new Yahoo group to discuss and report on
        > this
        > testing program. I made the message archives
        > visible to
        > everyone so you do NOT have to join if you simply
        > want to
        > go there and see what we are discussing ... but if
        > you want

        > Sincerely,
        > Ken Grome
        > Bagacay Boatworks
        > www.bagacayboatworks.com

      • Kenneth Grome
        Message 3 of 18 , May 27 8:20 PM
          Hi LOn,

          Thanks for your thoughts!

          I agree that it may be desirable in some circumstances to
          compare two hulls with similar shallow draft
          characteristics.

          On the other hand, if shallow draft is not an issue, and
          when the goal is only to determine the relative efficiency
          of the two hulls, it certainly makes sense to compare them
          directly.

          That's all I'm planning to do here ... :)

          Sincerely,
          Ken Grome
          Bagacay Boatworks
          www.bagacayboatworks.com

          > It must be remembered the tunnel hull boats are
          > shallow draft boats, so they would have to be compared
          > to another equal shallow draft boat.
          >
          > By Atkin's calculation a non tunnel hull Seabright
          > Skiff like Happy Clam performs better than a tunnel
          > hull Seabright Skiff
          > http://tinyurl.com/345atw
          >
          > But if the traditional boat runs aground then the
          > tunnel hull wins.
          > Lon Wells
          >
          > --- Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > There are some very intelligent and experienced guys
          > > over at
          > > the boatdesign.net forum ...
          > >
          > > We've been discussing a proposal I made to test and
          > > compare
          > > Shoals Runner against a more common hull with
          > > similar
          > > dimensions -- specifically to see which is more
          > > efficient
          > > at 15 knots using the same inboard propulsion
          > > systems. If
          > > this testing gets off the ground and into the water
          > > the
          > > results may be interesting to some of you.
          > >
          > > I created a new Yahoo group to discuss and report on
          > > this
          > > testing program. I made the message archives
          > > visible to
          > > everyone so you do NOT have to join if you simply
          > > want to
          > > go there and see what we are discussing ... but if
          > > you want

          > > Sincerely,
          > > Ken Grome
          > > Bagacay Boatworks
          > > www.bagacayboatworks.com
        • sals_dad
          Message 4 of 18 , May 28 1:22 PM

            > But if the traditional boat runs aground then the
            > tunnel hull wins.

            Well, that depends. It a "traditional" outbard runs aground, you pull
            up the engine, get out an oar, and push a bit. If an Atkin Tunnel
            Stern runs aground, you crack open a beer, put on your Ipod and
            bugspray, and wait for the tide to come in.

            ( ask me how I know... ;-)

            Sal's Dad
            Message 5 of 18 , May 29 2:21 AM
              But the reason for the tunnel stern is shallow draft. If shallow draft is
              not an issue then you should compare a non-tunnel Atkin V-bottom
              Seabright skiff with more conventional hull forms. The Atkin tunnel-stern
              Seabright skiff will be at a disadvantage if it's competing against hulls
              not designed for similar shallow draft. What'd be the point? Apples and
              oranges... <shrug>

              On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:20:47 -0700, Kenneth G wrote:

              > I agree that it may be desirable in some circumstances to
              > compare two hulls with similar shallow draft
              > characteristics.
              >
              > On the other hand, if shallow draft is not an issue, and
              > when the goal is only to determine the relative efficiency
              > of the two hulls, it certainly makes sense to compare them
              > directly.

              I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him.
              <Booker T. Washington>
            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 18 , May 29 3:26 AM
                John,

                You cannot force people to accept "shallow draft" as an
                important testing issue. It may be important to you
                personally, but I'm planning these tests for people who
                couldn't care less about the boat's shallow draft.

                Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether the
                Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the
                others. Unless I'm mistaken, you seem to be "assuming" the
                Atkin boats are less fuel efficient than non-shoal draft
                boats, is this correct?

                If you have some test result to prove this I would be glad
                to see them. Otherwise, I can run my own test and obtain
                my own results. Then instead of making assumptions we will
                have some facts for a change ...

                And facts are the whole point of my proposed tests.

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                > But the reason for the tunnel stern is shallow draft. If
                > shallow draft is not an issue then you should compare a
                > non-tunnel Atkin V-bottom Seabright skiff with more
                > conventional hull forms. The Atkin tunnel-stern Seabright
                > skiff will be at a disadvantage if it's competing against
                > hulls not designed for similar shallow draft. What'd be
                > the point? Apples and oranges... <shrug>
                >
                > On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:20:47 -0700, Kenneth G wrote:
                > > I agree that it may be desirable in some circumstances
                > > to compare two hulls with similar shallow draft
                > > characteristics.
                > >
                > > On the other hand, if shallow draft is not an issue,
                > > and when the goal is only to determine the relative
                > > efficiency of the two hulls, it certainly makes sense
                > > to compare them directly.
              • lon wells
                Message 7 of 18 , May 29 10:43 AM
                  The Atkin Seabright Skiff Tunnel hulls were designed
                  for inboard use in shallow waters, Atkin also designed
                  Seabright Skiffs that were not tunnel hull that did
                  not sacrifice performance for shallow draft, below are
                  two seabright skiffs about the same width and beam one
                  tunnel hull (shallow draft and the other slightly
                  deeper draft (5-1/2") but it requires less than half
                  the horse power to achieve greater speed.

                  Heron Seabright Tunnel hull
                  LOA 17 WL 16'-7" beam 5'-5" draft 6" 25hp 17MPH
                  http://tinyurl.com/5rzo2o
                  http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Heron.html

                  Happy Clam Seabright Hull
                  LOA 17 WL 16 beam 5'6" draft 11-1/2 10HP speed 20mph
                  http://tinyurl.com/345atw

                  So there it is
                  Lon

                  --- John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

                  > But the reason for the tunnel stern is shallow
                  > draft. If shallow draft is
                  > not an issue then you should compare a non-tunnel
                  > Atkin V-bottom
                  > Seabright skiff with more conventional hull forms.
                  > The Atkin tunnel-stern
                  > Seabright skiff will be at a disadvantage if it's
                  > competing against hulls
                  > not designed for similar shallow draft. What'd be
                  > the point? Apples and
                  > oranges... <shrug>
                  >
                  > On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:20:47 -0700, Kenneth G wrote:

                  > > I agree that it may be desirable in some
                  > circumstances to
                  > > compare two hulls with similar shallow draft
                  > > characteristics.
                  > >
                  > > On the other hand, if shallow draft is not an
                  > issue, and
                  > > when the goal is only to determine the relative
                  > efficiency
                  > > of the two hulls, it certainly makes sense to
                  > compare them
                  > > directly.

                  > John <jkohnen@...>
                  > I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making
                  > me hate him.
                  > <Booker T. Washington>
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  >
                  > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
                  > mopery. Please be polite.
                  >
                  > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
                  > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
                  > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
                  > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
                  > boat.

                  > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ronald Fossum
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 29 12:12 PM
                    "Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether the
                    Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the others."

                    Atkin designed power boats, sail boats, and row boats. Gee, which one of
                    these is the most fuel efficient. Well, some would say a sailboat - but what
                    about when there's no wind. Some would say a row boat, but one has to take
                    into account the food consumed by the "rower". Etc.

                    Duh Ken, the only way one can make a valid comparison is by comparing
                    similar designs. Tunnel stern and Seabright skiff are NOT similar designs.
                    Neither is a Seabright skiff and a Poulsbo. Nor is one of the Tolman boats!
                    You're a boat builder. You know that. Stop being such a twit.

                    Ron Fossum

                    > You cannot force people to accept "shallow draft" as an
                    > important testing issue. It may be important to you
                    > personally, but I'm planning these tests for people who
                    > couldn't care less about the boat's shallow draft.
                    >
                    > Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether the
                    > Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the
                    > others. Unless I'm mistaken, you seem to be "assuming" the
                    > Atkin boats are less fuel efficient than non-shoal draft
                    > boats, is this correct?
                    >
                    > If you have some test result to prove this I would be glad
                    > to see them. Otherwise, I can run my own test and obtain
                    > my own results. Then instead of making assumptions we will
                    > have some facts for a change ...
                    >
                    > And facts are the whole point of my proposed tests.
                    >
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Ken Grome
                    > Bagacay Boatworks
                    > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                    >

                    >> But the reason for the tunnel stern is shallow draft. If
                    >> shallow draft is not an issue then you should compare a
                    >> non-tunnel Atkin V-bottom Seabright skiff with more
                    >> conventional hull forms. The Atkin tunnel-stern Seabright
                    >> skiff will be at a disadvantage if it's competing against
                    >> hulls not designed for similar shallow draft. What'd be
                    >> the point? Apples and oranges... <shrug>
                    >>
                    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:20:47 -0700, Kenneth G wrote:
                    >> > I agree that it may be desirable in some circumstances
                    >> > to compare two hulls with similar shallow draft
                    >> > characteristics.
                    >> >
                    >> > On the other hand, if shallow draft is not an issue,
                    >> > and when the goal is only to determine the relative
                    >> > efficiency of the two hulls, it certainly makes sense
                    >> > to compare them directly.
                    >

                    > ------------------------------------

                    > polite.

                    > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Ron Butterfield
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 29 12:29 PM
                      On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                      wrote:

                      > We've been discussing a proposal I made to test and compare
                      > Shoals Runner against a more common hull with similar
                      > dimensions -- specifically to see which is more efficient
                      > at 15 knots using the same inboard propulsion systems.

                      Ken, congratulations on your efforts to insert some facts into the
                      discussion.

                      I have noticed quite a few individuals being twits and making negative
                      comments regarding your proposed quest, but these same individuals are
                      (mostly) quite stingy with any facts backing up their various claims.

                      To all: The renewed popularity of Rescue Minor and it's efficiency
                      statements have raised the question regarding it's hull design and
                      efficiency. Ken has proposed a test to put facts on the table regarding
                      this, and is putting his money (and time and effort) where his mouth is. If
                      you want to make negative comments about his test, what are you doing to
                      replace it?

                      Boating is often an emotional endeavor, and what you as an individual "like"
                      can be quite important. Many would-be boaters, however, are limited in
                      funds; it takes real money to buy wood, steel, gas, and sailcloth, and it
                      would be nice to have a good idea what you are getting before you pay the
                      price.

                      --
                      Regards,
                      RonB

                    • Ronald Fossum
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 29 12:39 PM
                        Is it so hard to see that this is like saying "my apples are better than your oranges"?

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 29 7:54 PM
                          Let's see... Suppose you were testing the efficiency of pickup trucks, the
                          "Atkin" four-wheel drive pickup against some more "conventional" two-wheel
                          drive trucks. I question the value of the test because the design of
                          four-wheel drive trucks sacrifices some efficiency for the traction
                          benefits of four powered wheels. Would you reply, "You cannot force people
                          to accept "four-wheel drive" as an
                          important testing issue. It may be important to you personally, but I'm
                          planning these tests for people who couldn't care less about four-wheel
                          drive."? If the people targeted by the test aren't interested in
                          four-wheel drive why have a four-wheel drive truck as the centerpiece of
                          the test? Why would someone who's not interested in shallow draft be
                          interested in how a shallow draft boat's efficiency fares against boats
                          whose designs weren't compromised to get shallow draft? <sigh>

                          Your test won't produce any useful results unless it compares apples to
                          apples, or oranges to oranges -- a selection of inboard motorboats of the
                          same size, weight and power with 6" draft, _or_ a selection of similar
                          motorboats with at least "normal" draft. It would be real interesting to
                          see how an Atkin non-tunnel V-bottom Seabright skiff stacks up against
                          other "conventional" boats for efficiency. That's the test you should do.
                          It'd also be mildly interesting to see how an Atkin tunnel-stern V-bottom
                          Seabright skiff does against other inboard boats with 6" draft, but I
                          don't think it'd be much of a contest -- only jet drives and obviously
                          less efficent tunnel designs could compete...

                          Shoals Runner will have one arm tied behind it's back competing against
                          "conventional" motorboats, but I'll bet it'll still be more efficient than
                          some. But so what? If shoal draft doesn't matter you're gonna build one of
                          the types of boats that will be more efficient than Shoals Runner, maybe
                          an Atkin V-bottom Seabright skiff sans tunnel!

                          On Thu, 29 May 2008 03:26:49 -0700, Kenneth G wrote:

                          > You cannot force people to accept "shallow draft" as an
                          > important testing issue. It may be important to you
                          > personally, but I'm planning these tests for people who
                          > couldn't care less about the boat's shallow draft.
                          >
                          > Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether the
                          > Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the
                          > others. Unless I'm mistaken, you seem to be "assuming" the
                          > Atkin boats are less fuel efficient than non-shoal draft
                          > boats, is this correct?

                          As for myself, the wonderful sea charmed me from the first.
                          <Joshua Slocum>
                        • Kenneth Grome
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 29 11:51 PM
                            Hi Ron,

                            > Duh Ken, the only way one can make a valid
                            > comparison is by comparing similar designs.

                            For the sake of argument let's say I agree with this
                            position. The next question is:

                            Who gets to determine which design feature makes the two
                            boats 'similar'? Are YOU the final judge in making this
                            determination? Or might the people for whom I'm doing
                            these tests have some say in this matter? After all, I am
                            doing the tests for them, not you, so perhaps their
                            priorities and opinions should be considered here?

                            I already explained to John Kohnen and everyone else that
                            these tests are designed to prove which hull is more fuel
                            efficient. That's all these tests are about, and anything
                            you or John or anyone else say to try to make shoal draft
                            part of the equation is not going to change things. Shoal
                            draft may be important to some of you, but it is not
                            important to the folks who want a simple and
                            straightforward answer to the question these tests are
                            designed to answer.

                            So ...

                            If you have some factual evidence that clearly proves which
                            hull is more efficiently driven, I encourage you to post
                            it. But if all you have is theories and assumptions, I
                            would like to ask you to please be a little more 'open
                            minded' and consider the possibility that other people are
                            interested in learning the answer to this particular
                            question, regardless of whether or not you personally think
                            you know the answer yourself.

                            I fail to understand what's so hard to understand about this
                            scenario anyways, so let me use John Kohnen's example in my
                            manner ...

                            Sincerely,
                            Ken Grome
                            Bagacay Boatworks
                            www.bagacayboatworks.com

                            P.S. Please stop calling me names. I may very well be a
                            twit for all I know, but whether I am or not, I think name
                            calling is something we as adults should be willing to
                            refrain from in a respectful online discussion.

                            > "Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether
                            > the Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the
                            > others."
                            >
                            > Atkin designed power boats, sail boats, and row boats.
                            > Gee, which one of these is the most fuel efficient. Well,
                            > some would say a sailboat - but what about when there's
                            > no wind. Some would say a row boat, but one has to take
                            > into account the food consumed by the "rower". Etc.
                            >
                            > Duh Ken, the only way one can make a valid comparison is
                            > by comparing similar designs. Tunnel stern and Seabright
                            > skiff are NOT similar designs. Neither is a Seabright
                            > skiff and a Poulsbo. Nor is one of the Tolman boats!
                            > You're a boat builder. You know that. Stop being such a
                            > twit.
                            >
                            > Ron Fossum
                          • Kenneth Grome
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 30 12:50 AM
                              Hi John,

                              > Let's see... Suppose you were testing the efficiency of
                              > pickup trucks, the "Atkin" four-wheel drive pickup
                              > against some more "conventional" two-wheel drive trucks.

                              Okay, let's use this example because it's an easy one that
                              should help you to understand the situation a little
                              better:

                              > I question the value of the test because the design of
                              > four-wheel drive trucks sacrifices some efficiency for
                              > the traction benefits of four powered wheels.

                              It really doesn't matter whether you personally question the
                              validity of the tests or not, or if you 'believe' that some
                              efficiency is sacrificed in the 4WD truck, because you do
                              not actually know which truck is more efficient, do you?
                              All you're doing is theorizing and relying on your own
                              personal assumptions, or perhaps the assumptions of others.
                              You have no facts -- plain and simple -- and that's what
                              the tests are for.

                              > If the people targeted by the test aren't interested in
                              > four-wheel drive why have a four-wheel drive truck
                              > as the centerpiece of the test?

                              Simple:

                              Word has gotten around that the 4WD is extremely fuel
                              efficient for some unknown reason -- much more fuel
                              efficient than common sense might suggest -- and the people
                              interested in the tests want to know for a fact whether or
                              not this reputation for fuel efficiency is deserved, or if
                              it's just a bunch of talk.

                              The most fuel efficient truck just happens to have 4WD as
                              one of its design features. This is incidental to the
                              efficiency question at hand, and not at all important here.
                              They couldn't care less about the 4WD feature, what they
                              care about is fuel efficiency -- and this particular 4WD
                              reportedly has better fuel efficiency ... although no hard
                              evidence ihas ever been presented to prove it.

                              If an Asian multicab pickup were reported to be more fuel
                              efficient than the 4WD, they would have chosen a multicab
                              as the centerpiece of these tests. But it just so happens
                              that the 4WD pickup is the one they heard all the stories
                              and theories about, so that's the truck they want as their
                              centerpiece in comparison tests ... :)

                              This is a simple concept to me. I hope I've been able to
                              explain it more clearly now, and I'm really not sure why
                              you guys don't get it. All I can think of is that you're
                              stuck on the original design concept of shoal draft as "the
                              most important feature of the boat" and you're simply not
                              willing to listen to or accept anyone else's opinion that
                              something else might be more important to them.

                              > Why would someone who's not interested in shallow draft
                              > be interested in how a shallow draft boat's efficiency
                              > fares against boats whose designs weren't compromised
                              > to get shallow draft?

                              Because the fuel efficiency of the shallow draft boat is
                              what attracts and intrigues them, not the shoal draft.

                              But is the design "compromised" to get shallow draft? This
                              soulds like it is reduced in quality or performance. At
                              boatdesign.net they called it 'optimized' not 'compromised'
                              so I guess there are different ways to characterize the
                              design ... :)

                              It seems you're making a case that the tunnel-stern boats
                              are somehow less fuel efficient than others simply because
                              they are designed with shoal draft in mind. But from my
                              perspective, I think it still remains to be proven which of
                              these hull types is more or less efficient.

                              Maybe Atkin found a way to get shoal draft *AND* better fuel
                              efficiency all in the same design ... ?

                              > Your test won't produce any useful results unless it
                              > compares apples to apples ...

                              The results may not be useful to you, but I have proposed a
                              perfectly valid testing regime which will absolutely
                              produce some facts for a change. My tests won't answer the
                              questions you personally feel are important, but that
                              doesn't make the answers useless to others or they wouldn't
                              be sponsoring this program.

                              > It would be real
                              > interesting to see how an Atkin non-tunnel V-bottom
                              > Seabright skiff stacks up against other "conventional"
                              > boats for efficiency. That's the test you should do.

                              Yes it would be interesting ... but the sponsors are willing
                              to pay for tests that answer a different question, so I
                              think these are the tests I "should" be doing. Don't get
                              me wrong, I have no objection to running the tests you
                              think I should do, just not right now. These other tests
                              come first.

                              > Shoals Runner will have one arm tied behind it's back
                              > competing against "conventional" motorboats, but I'll bet
                              > it'll still be more efficient than some. But so what?

                              Some people hope to build the most fuel efficient boats they
                              can build. Maybe a test like this will clarify which hull
                              is the most fuel efficient. You know, not assuming
                              anything, instead just doing some tests to get the facts.

                              :)

                              > If shoal draft doesn't matter you're gonna build one of
                              > the types of boats that will be more efficient than Shoals
                              > Runner, maybe an Atkin V-bottom Seabright skiff sans
                              > tunnel!

                              It seems you're already committed to the belief that the
                              non-tunnel-stern boats are more efficient, so I suspect
                              that nothing short of proof to the contrary will convince
                              you otherwise.

                              I honestly wonder what's going to happen if I run my tests
                              and prove that the tunnel-stern boat is MORE fuel efficient
                              than the boat with a simpler underwater shape?

                              Sincerely,
                              Ken Grome
                              Bagacay Boatworks
                              www.bagacayboatworks.com

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 30 1:06 AM
                                Hi Lon,

                                I am very familiar with the Atkin Seabright skiffs on the
                                website, but thanks for posting the links since it makes
                                them easy for others to find them.

                                I guess you are "assuming" that the tunnel-stern boats are
                                less efficient than the others based only on the figures
                                posted on the website, is this correct? Or do you have
                                factual evidence to support your conclusions?

                                In my opinion those figures you pulled off the Atkin website
                                are theoretical, not factual, and none of the folks who are
                                seeking the answers to my tests will accept those numbers
                                either. Besides, I'm talking about two hulls optimized for
                                15 knots, and there is no way to know if Atkin optimized
                                the hulls you mentioned for any particular speed -- or if
                                they were optimized for anything else for that matter.

                                In my opinion as well as the opinions of others, it is
                                possible that the tunnel-stern version traps some of the
                                moving, energy-filled boundary layer water under the hull,
                                then it re-uses this trapped energy by funneling it toward
                                the propeller where it is further accelerated. The
                                non-tunnel-stern versions simply let this energy-filled
                                boundary layer water drift away, and the energy it already
                                contains is basically wasted.

                                Although this is just a theory,it clearly supports the
                                possibility that the tunnel-stern boats may be more
                                efficient than the others. This is why, until I see some
                                actual evidence one way or the other, I simply cannot
                                accept yours or John Kohnen's assumptions.

                                Regardless of which Seabright hull versions are more or less
                                efficient than the others, no tests have been done to
                                compare Seabright hulls with non-Seabright hulls as far as
                                I know. So perhaps I still have a valid reason to run my
                                own tests and learn the facts about the relative
                                efficiencies of these two hulls?

                                :)

                                Sincerely,
                                Ken Grome
                                Bagacay Boatworks
                                www.bagacayboatworks.com

                                > The Atkin Seabright Skiff Tunnel hulls were designed
                                > for inboard use in shallow waters, Atkin also designed
                                > Seabright Skiffs that were not tunnel hull that did
                                > not sacrifice performance for shallow draft, below are
                                > two seabright skiffs about the same width and beam one
                                > tunnel hull (shallow draft and the other slightly
                                > deeper draft (5-1/2") but it requires less than half
                                > the horse power to achieve greater speed.
                                >
                                > Heron Seabright Tunnel hull
                                > LOA 17 WL 16'-7" beam 5'-5" draft 6" 25hp 17MPH
                                > http://tinyurl.com/5rzo2o
                                > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Heron.html
                                >
                                > Happy Clam Seabright Hull
                                > LOA 17 WL 16 beam 5'6" draft 11-1/2 10HP speed 20mph
                                > http://tinyurl.com/345atw
                                >
                                > So there it is
                                > Lon
                              • Ronald A. Fossum
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 30 9:57 AM
                                  My sincere apologies Ken. I truly misunderstood you. To use
                                  my "apples and oranges" test - and I do not mean this humorously -
                                  you really want to test apples and oranges to see which is better.
                                  OK. I was homeing in more on the concept of testing similar, not dis-
                                  similar hull designs. I just didn't understand a purpose in looking
                                  for a comparison in fuel efficiency between significantly different
                                  hul designs - but I can see the value.

                                  Ron Fossum

                                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome
                                  <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Ron,
                                  >
                                  > > Duh Ken, the only way one can make a valid
                                  > > comparison is by comparing similar designs.
                                  >
                                  > For the sake of argument let's say I agree with this
                                  > position. The next question is:
                                  >
                                  > Who gets to determine which design feature makes the two
                                  > boats 'similar'? Are YOU the final judge in making this
                                  > determination? Or might the people for whom I'm doing
                                  > these tests have some say in this matter? After all, I am
                                  > doing the tests for them, not you, so perhaps their
                                  > priorities and opinions should be considered here?
                                  >
                                  > I already explained to John Kohnen and everyone else that
                                  > these tests are designed to prove which hull is more fuel
                                  > efficient. That's all these tests are about, and anything
                                  > you or John or anyone else say to try to make shoal draft
                                  > part of the equation is not going to change things. Shoal
                                  > draft may be important to some of you, but it is not
                                  > important to the folks who want a simple and
                                  > straightforward answer to the question these tests are
                                  > designed to answer.
                                  >
                                  > So ...
                                  >
                                  > If you have some factual evidence that clearly proves which
                                  > hull is more efficiently driven, I encourage you to post
                                  > it. But if all you have is theories and assumptions, I
                                  > would like to ask you to please be a little more 'open
                                  > minded' and consider the possibility that other people are
                                  > interested in learning the answer to this particular
                                  > question, regardless of whether or not you personally think
                                  > you know the answer yourself.
                                  >
                                  > I fail to understand what's so hard to understand about this
                                  > scenario anyways, so let me use John Kohnen's example in my
                                  > manner ...
                                  >
                                  > Sincerely,
                                  > Ken Grome
                                  > Bagacay Boatworks
                                  > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                                  >
                                  > P.S. Please stop calling me names. I may very well be a
                                  > twit for all I know, but whether I am or not, I think name
                                  > calling is something we as adults should be willing to
                                  > refrain from in a respectful online discussion.
                                  >

                                  > > "Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether
                                  > > the Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the
                                  > > others."
                                  > >
                                  > > Atkin designed power boats, sail boats, and row boats.
                                  > > Gee, which one of these is the most fuel efficient. Well,
                                  > > some would say a sailboat - but what about when there's
                                  > > no wind. Some would say a row boat, but one has to take
                                  > > into account the food consumed by the "rower". Etc.
                                  > >
                                  > > Duh Ken, the only way one can make a valid comparison is
                                  > > by comparing similar designs. Tunnel stern and Seabright
                                  > > skiff are NOT similar designs. Neither is a Seabright
                                  > > skiff and a Poulsbo. Nor is one of the Tolman boats!
                                  > > You're a boat builder. You know that. Stop being such a
                                  > > twit.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ron Fossum

                                • adharvey2
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 30 10:39 PM
                                    What the ...... hey, how did I get in the "Wooden Boat" forum?
                                    .....must have.... clicked wrong .....

                                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald A. Fossum" <artemis@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > twit for all I know, but whether I am or not, I think name
                                    > > calling is something we as adults should be willing to
                                    > > refrain from in a respectful online discussion.
                                    > >

                                    > > > "Some of us simply want to know -- for a fact -- whether
                                    > > > the Atkin boats are more or less fuel efficient than the
                                    > > > others."
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Atkin designed power boats, sail boats, and row boats.
                                    > > > Gee, which one of these is the most fuel efficient. Well,
                                    > > > some would say a sailboat - but what about when there's
                                    > > > no wind. Some would say a row boat, but one has to take
                                    > > > into account the food consumed by the "rower". Etc.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Duh Ken, the only way one can make a valid comparison is
                                    > > > by comparing similar designs. Tunnel stern and Seabright
                                    > > > skiff are NOT similar designs. Neither is a Seabright
                                    > > > skiff and a Poulsbo. Nor is one of the Tolman boats!
                                    > > > You're a boat builder. You know that. Stop being such a

                                  • Kenneth Grome
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 30 11:45 PM
                                      Hi Ron,

                                      Thanks for understanding my efforts. I should have thanked
                                      you before since you were the only person to post something
                                      positive, but I was too busy trying to explain things a
                                      second or third time to others -- probably a huge waste of
                                      time anyways.

                                      Oh well, live and learn ... :)

                                      Sincerely,
                                      Ken Grome
                                      Bagacay Boatworks
                                      www.bagacayboatworks.com

                                      > Ken, congratulations on your efforts to insert some facts
                                      > into the discussion.
                                      >
                                      > I have noticed quite a few individuals being twits and
                                      > making negative comments regarding your proposed quest,
                                      > but these same individuals are (mostly) quite stingy with
                                      > any facts backing up their various claims.
                                      >
                                      > To all: The renewed popularity of Rescue Minor and it's
                                      > efficiency statements have raised the question regarding
                                      > it's hull design and efficiency. Ken has proposed a test
                                      > to put facts on the table regarding this, and is putting
                                      > his money (and time and effort) where his mouth is. If
                                      > you want to make negative comments about his test, what
                                      > are you doing to replace it?
                                      >
                                      > Boating is often an emotional endeavor, and what you as
                                      > an individual "like" can be quite important. Many
                                      > would-be boaters, however, are limited in funds; it takes
                                      > real money to buy wood, steel, gas, and sailcloth, and it
                                      > would be nice to have a good idea what you are getting
                                      > before you pay the price.
                                      >

                                      > --
                                      > Regards,
                                      > RonB
                                    • windmill4048
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 31 4:36 AM
                                        <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Ron,
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for understanding my efforts. I should have thanked
                                        > you before since you were the only person to post something
                                        > positive, but I was too busy trying to explain things a
                                        > second or third time to others -- probably a huge waste of
                                        > time anyways.
                                        >
                                        > Oh well, live and learn ... :)
                                        >
                                        > Sincerely,
                                        > Ken Grome
                                        > Bagacay Boatworks
                                        > www.bagacayboatworks.com
                                        >

                                        > > Ken, congratulations on your efforts to insert some facts
                                        > > into the discussion.
                                        > >
                                        > > I have noticed quite a few individuals being twits and
                                        > > making negative comments regarding your proposed quest,
                                        > > but these same individuals are (mostly) quite stingy with
                                        > > any facts backing up their various claims.
                                        > >
                                        > > To all: The renewed popularity of Rescue Minor and it's
                                        > > efficiency statements have raised the question regarding
                                        > > it's hull design and efficiency. Ken has proposed a test
                                        > > to put facts on the table regarding this, and is putting
                                        > > his money (and time and effort) where his mouth is. If
                                        > > you want to make negative comments about his test, what
                                        > > are you doing to replace it?
                                        > >
                                        > > Boating is often an emotional endeavor, and what you as
                                        > > an individual "like" can be quite important. Many
                                        > > would-be boaters, however, are limited in funds; it takes
                                        > > real money to buy wood, steel, gas, and sailcloth, and it
                                        > > would be nice to have a good idea what you are getting
                                        > > before you pay the price.
                                        > >

                                        > > --
                                        > > Regards,
                                        > > RonB

                                        Well, let me add a little hard data to this discussion.

                                        I've operated a Rescue Minor since last August, many hours of
                                        operation.

                                        At 10 kts, 2,300 RPM the fuel consumption is between .5 and .62 GPH.
                                        I consider that to be sort of efficient and think you'd be hard
                                        pressed to find a boat that would do much better unless it was
                                        purpose built just for fuel efficiency.