Re: Considering a "Good Luck" as First Project

  • baitboat_dude
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2008
      Hello Mike.
      Thx for taking the time to reply.
      You're right about the fishing part, but it's for freshwater for 1-3
      person - 1 or 2 90% of the time.

      The localy accepted design for these conditions would be a
      weatherworthy 14'-16' boat with a 6hp outboard.

      I am trying to get a smaller boat to do the job. The problem to be
      overcome is that in two places where it will be used the boat has to
      be physically lifted over a gate every trip.
      It will be used to fish on lakes which are exposed to wind in the
      force 3-5 range.

      So everything boils down to what is the best light dinghy for a small
      light engine, AND for use in waves.

      I accept that most of the requirements are contradictory, so the
      best compromise is what will get built. Cutting the width for weight
      reasons increases roll, choosing a planing hull increases the weight
      and engine size.

      A shallow vee with a keel added should get some of the stability of a
      longer boat.

      The use of really good 6mm sides and 10mm bottom should get the
      weight down - obviously glassed in the important places. I can glass
      in a light structure if necessary so rigidity isn't lost.

      I think a 12' - 13' x 4' - 4 1/2' should do fine.

      So you will see how I found my way to the smaller Atkin's designs
      after looking at all the plethora of stuff around. They cover this
      area very well.

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/WalterPiel.html
      The Walter Piel more or less fits the bill about spot on.
      If the Walter Piel was in a 12-14' size I would have settled on that
      already.
      Reducing a Walter Piel to 12 1/2' or 13' is enticing. I am a tad
      cautious of modifying a first project.

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/GoodLuck.html
      The Good luck has less vee and more roll I assume, but otherwise the
      Good Luck is closer to the ideal size from the start..

      I looked at the boat you mentioned .... I could see myself doing that
      later if this works out favourably. Lots of space inside.

      Norm
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2008
        I think you've chosen well. I can't think of any of the Atkins
        designs on this site that would be better for your purposes. Good
        luck, heheh.

        Mike Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baitboat_dude" <baitboat_dude@...>