Re: Considering a "Good Luck" as First Project

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2008
      Dude,

      I just have to ask because of your moniker; were you planning to use
      it for bait shrimping? There's a 17 foot inboard design of the same
      type that would make a good baitshrimping boat. I can see it with a
      wash board and live box behind a one person cabin open on both sides
      just over or forward of the engine. You can find it in the inboard
      design section, it has a link to good luck since it's a versioin of
      that boat. It would be really good if you could use a big sheet winch
      to haul the net, and mount all this stuff on a welded steel frame
      fixed inside the hull. Sorry I can't answer your question, it's rare
      that anyone would put up with a slow outboard boat.

      Mike Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baitboat_dude" <baitboat_dude@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm planning to make a small open fishing boat, of ply construction,
      > and the Good Luck seems the closest to my ideal requirements.
      >
      > This will be my first full size boat. I have experience making models
      > in the past up to 1/3rd scale. So as much as possible, I would like to
      > avoid time consuming "intricate details" for this job, and suggestions
      > are welcome.
      >
      > Has anyone here done a Good Luck? Are photos of the construction stages
      > available?
      >
      > If a 12' similar shallow vee design is available I might consider that
      > first in the interests of simplicity.
      >
      > Norm

    • baitboat_dude
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2008
        Hello Mike.
        Thx for taking the time to reply.
        You're right about the fishing part, but it's for freshwater for 1-3
        person - 1 or 2 90% of the time.

        The localy accepted design for these conditions would be a
        weatherworthy 14'-16' boat with a 6hp outboard.

        I am trying to get a smaller boat to do the job. The problem to be
        overcome is that in two places where it will be used the boat has to
        be physically lifted over a gate every trip.
        It will be used to fish on lakes which are exposed to wind in the
        force 3-5 range.

        So everything boils down to what is the best light dinghy for a small
        light engine, AND for use in waves.

        I accept that most of the requirements are contradictory, so the
        best compromise is what will get built. Cutting the width for weight
        reasons increases roll, choosing a planing hull increases the weight
        and engine size.

        A shallow vee with a keel added should get some of the stability of a
        longer boat.

        The use of really good 6mm sides and 10mm bottom should get the
        weight down - obviously glassed in the important places. I can glass
        in a light structure if necessary so rigidity isn't lost.

        I think a 12' - 13' x 4' - 4 1/2' should do fine.

        So you will see how I found my way to the smaller Atkin's designs
        after looking at all the plethora of stuff around. They cover this
        area very well.

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/WalterPiel.html
        The Walter Piel more or less fits the bill about spot on.
        If the Walter Piel was in a 12-14' size I would have settled on that
        already.
        Reducing a Walter Piel to 12 1/2' or 13' is enticing. I am a tad
        cautious of modifying a first project.

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/GoodLuck.html
        The Good luck has less vee and more roll I assume, but otherwise the
        Good Luck is closer to the ideal size from the start..

        I looked at the boat you mentioned .... I could see myself doing that
        later if this works out favourably. Lots of space inside.

        Norm
      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24, 2008
          I think you've chosen well. I can't think of any of the Atkins
          designs on this site that would be better for your purposes. Good
          luck, heheh.